Taking pictures of Fireworks!

you might want to also so that they have some idea of what they need to do to achieve the image you have.:hugs:

Pull magic out of your ass :)

Seriously though you need to think of fireworks in terms of how they are historically set up to know what to get. I would never take fireworks photos from this location for Riverfire for instance even through they are launched from the same place they are shot higher and higher into the air and the city wouldn't feature in them.

Basically with the fireworks I try to figure out where they are going to be. It's a guess. I get it wrong quite often and end up with boring photos. A wide angle lens helps, or you could take photos from far away. I don't remember the specific settings I used on that photo but I know roughly how I got there. Like I said earlier a typical firework shot lasts 2-5 seconds, so set your ISO / aperture to what you think will expose the background correctly at 2-5 seconds and then hope you got it right. It relies on lighting in the background being consistent with the fireworks. A photo like this would never work in a dark park for instance as any setup that exposes the background in 2-5 seconds would likely completely blow out the firework.

Wow, GeorgieGirl, those are some amazing shots! I wish I could get some that nice. I'll have to give it a try on Wednesday and see what I come up with. Thanks for everyone else who posted advice, too. I'll take it all into consideration when I try to get some good fireworks shots on the 4th.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back