Taking sharp pictures

I have an old technique that will help you determine the shutter speed faster.
1.Put the camera on Auto Iso and aperture priority mode.
2.Focus your subject the exact stance you desire but don't take pic.
3.After you have the focus confirmation that you are happy with just look on the camera settings shown on display without moving the camera (tripod will help and maybe Lv).
Now you know what settings you should have for a good exposure and shutter speed. You can switch to manual and set the camera to what you saw on display. You can also work a little bit more with iso and aperture for different approaches of the scene.
As a rule the shutter speed should be twice in value than focal length (Ex. If you shoot at 50mm the shutter speed should not be under 1/100) for a great steady hand shot. If you have very steady hands or advanced vr lenses you can go a bit under that.
I hope you understand what I explained. I am not very good with english :frown face:.

Tons of light and crisp pics.
Chris@2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now you know what settings you should have for a good exposure and shutter speed. You can switch to manual and set the camera to what you saw on display.
Or just stay in Aperture Priority…. All this mode-changing will do little good, if at all, and you may end up missing the shot anyway. Also, if it’s portraiture work with clients, I’m not sure what they’d think of you if you constantly move the camera down from your eye to turn a dial on the top of the camera. Could be good for practice, not in real working photographers’ shooting situations.

Could be good for practice, not in real working photographers’ shooting situations.
Ohhh ok ...my bad. That's what I meant....practice until you'll be able to read the light. And even if you do that with the client it's better to take a little more time shoot an amazing photo than rush it and cry back home in front of your comp...Just sayin...

Chris@2015

Now you know what settings you should have for a good exposure and shutter speed. You can switch to manual and set the camera to what you saw on display.
Or just stay in Aperture Priority…. All this mode-changing will do little good, if at all, and you may end up missing the shot anyway. Also, if it’s portraiture work with clients, I’m not sure what they’d think of you if you constantly move the camera down from your eye to turn a dial on the top of the camera. Could be good for practice, not in real working photographers’ shooting situations.

On the d5100 and the d5200 for portraits I'd normally use Aperture priority and then set a minimum shutter speed in the menus to make sure my shutter speed didn't fall below acceptable levels. Made it pretty easy to get the desired results.

Probably the thing I like most about the 7100 is the dual command dials, now I shoot most everything in manual, I can adjust either my shutter speed or aperture as needed with one of the two dials, and I just let the camera select the ISO. If my ISO seems to high, I can compensate by altering aperture, shutter speed or both. Works pretty well when shooting from the hip.

Most reactions

Back