taking the digital plunge

mattvillano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've finally decided to step into the digital world. I'm a student who would like to enter the world of photojournalism and have been shooting with a Nikon N80 for a few years. I have a few lenses (28-80mm, 70-300mm, and 50mm) and thought the necessary step would be to go to the D70. I know these lenses aren't really compatible so I was thinking of possibly just selling the whole kit and kaboodle and buying the Canon 20D. Would this be a stupid move? I've been advised to stick with Nikon by a lot of people but some have told me to jump to Canon. I'm just looking for some experienced opinions. Thanks a bunch.

Sorry for the long ramble

What do you mean those lenses aren't really compatible. As far as I know they are. I'd stick with Nikon because that's what you are familiar with, and I'm pretty darn sure, no 100%, but pretty sure those lenses will work on a D70 just fine. Get the kit lens with the D70 as well and you'll have a nice wide angle.

What are your concerns with the lenses you've been using with your N80? There shouldn't be any compatiblity problems in using them with the D70 (unless I'm missing something) and that will save you quite a bit of money over purchasing new lenses for either the D70 or a 20D setup.

The 20D is a very nice camera, and although it does outperform many of the specs of the D70, I would still suggest leaning towards the D70 overall. That way you can keep the lenses, and maybe even keep the N80 to allow you to shoot film if you still want to at some point.

You definitely won't be disappointed by the D70.

Sorry I worded that wrong. I know they are compatible I've just been told that the image quality would be a problem with those lenses.

In my opinion, the D70 basically made the D100 an obsolete camera. In most areas the D70 outpeforms the D100 and costs less.

As far as lenses go, I doubt you'll have any quality lenses with the ones you have.

There shouldn't be any quality issues with those lenses. Did you like their performance on your N80? They will perform exactly the same on a D70, except for the crop factor. Sharpness, color rendition, all that will be the same. With the addition of the kit lens you'll have a real nice setup. Don't forget when factoring in costs that you should buy an extra battery for the camera and lots of memory. At least 1 gig, if not 2 gigs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back