Taking the plunge on the D90.... Now what lens?!!?!?

Well then I am going to have to stick with the original recommendation of the 18-55mm and the 50mm 1.8mm....

hm, why the 50mm? and why the 18-55? if i had to pick one I should go with the 18-55 right?

well the 50mm 1.4 lens is an incredible, professional quality lens offering superb sharpness, making little to no compromise in image quality. This lens shines incredibly with low light conditions.
Incredible portraits, and just all around amazing quality is what you can expect from it. If you could only own 3 lenses, this would have to be one of them.

Now the 50mm f/1.8 is going to be almost identical, only the f/1.4 will become faster quicker (f/2); they will both be on par back up at f/4 however.

The 18-55VR is also a high quality lens in a cheap package. Most people dismiss it because it is cheap, comes with the most basic DSLR's, and feels like a cheap toy, but it's IQ results are on par with much more expensive glass.

It would be good to have and use along with the 50mm and would give you a little reach to boot.

Yeah thats why I was going to buy a 50mm f/1.4 then I realized it wouldnt work as a main lens due to no zoom and constant aperture.

But ive never liked the 18-55 that much, as you said. Kit lens, cheap, and what not. this is the first time ive been recommended it.

Wow im very confused on what to buy.

edit: wow, the bokeh is simply amazing for a 100$ lens. Too bad I cant use it for all purposes.

Skim through this on that 18-55.
Nikon 18-55mm VR

I haven't put my 55-200mm lens on my camera in over 2 months. I leave the 50mm on there and go out on walkabouts and shoot. I wouldn't worry too much about the 55mm end of that lens, if it bothers you after you have had it for a while, then you could probably pick up the 55-200 for pretty cheap from someone like me who doesnt get use from it.
Just my .02

I think ill take your word for it, ken also said it out performs the 18-135. which is the price of the 50mm and the 18-55 combined.

If im getting one before the other, which one do you reccommend buying first?

ahhh... Well now see, I am super partial to the 50mm, but it doesnt zoom, so you will have to walk up to and set shots up, by foot. I know you would be thoroughly impressed with the stuff you can do with it, just realize no zoom.
I cant say for certain which way you should go, all I can say is I would be content just leaving the 50mm on the D90 24/7.

I got my Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 yesterday, thing seems to be amazing... Picked it up for about $360 at Photo 4 Less, I think I have a new 'go to' vendor :)

I got my Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 yesterday, thing seems to be amazing... Picked it up for about $360 at Photo 4 Less, I think I have a new 'go to' vendor :)

Are you ever gonna love that lens!

Don't know what bodies you have, but I like to use mine on my D40 sometimes, and it turns the D40 into a whole new camera!

If you ok starting at 28mm on d90, there is a glass out there 28-105 3.5-4.5 with macro b/n 50-70mm. Few months ago I bought it of a friend of mine (who passed away:() and his wife was selling his gear out.
Ken Rockwell, doesn't give great review for it, personally, I LOVE that glass, it is my primary for home use (back up is famous kit 18-105).

Ken Rockwell, doesn't give great review for it..

What is all this stuff about Ken Rockwell and his opinion? Have seen several posts referring to him in the last day or so.

Anyone who reads much of his website will soon find out what a clown he is. He even admits that some of the stuff he writes is pulling people's legs. How do you know what to trust from someone like that?

All he wants is your $$ so he doesn't have to go get a job.

Geesh!

Last edited:
/offtopic

As far as Ken Rockwell goes, I appreciated his information when I started getting into photography more. For one, it didn't make me rush out and buy a bunch of stuff I didn't need and two. In order to appreciate his views you have to understand why he writes what he does (which he tells you as well)... he has a different style, and his views are based 100% on that.

/offtopic

Anyone who reads much of his website will soon find out what a clown he is
As far as Ken Rockwell goes, I appreciated his information when I started getting into photography more. For one, it didn't make me rush out and buy a bunch of stuff I didn't need and two. In order to appreciate his views you have to understand why he writes what he does (which he tells you as well)... he has a different style, and his views are based 100% on that.
Agree on both.
The only reason I brought his name up is a lot of people take his word as "G-D".
The glass I'm referring to, is an amazing glass. Clear, crisp, sharp. It doesn't have VR, it has an aperture ring, worked wonders on old F100. And you can probably get one for about $200 or under $100 on ebay.

Wow im very confused on what to buy.
Only very unusual specialized lenses have a fixed aperture. The AF 50mm f/1.8D can be stopped down as far as f/22 in bright light.

Have you considered the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Di-II or the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 DC as general-purpose lenses for your D90?

I have considered those lenses from day 1. Problem is with both of them, I cant afford them right now. :lol:

I really love the bokeh on the 50mm though, maybe buy a 50mm live with it for a while then buy a 17-50 or 18-50?

just thoughts.

Most reactions

Back