Taking the same scene with two different cameras

gmphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to take the same scene with two different cameras to compare HDR from the cameras. I want the images from both cameras to look as closely aligned to each other as possible.

I was thinking I'd get a tripod with quick release, and the quick release plates on the two cameras would have anti-twist so the images would be closely aligned to each other. But I'm not sure if there'd be anything preventing the quick release adapter on the tripod from rotating or moving when I try to switch cameras.

Has anyone tried anything like this before? Is this method likely to allow me to switch cameras without moving the framing too much? Or do you have a better idea?

Many thanks!
Gabe

I am trying to take the same scene with two different cameras to compare HDR from the cameras. I want the images from both cameras to look as closely aligned to each other as possible.

I was thinking I'd get a tripod with quick release, and the quick release plates on the two cameras would have anti-twist so the images would be closely aligned to each other. But I'm not sure if there'd be anything preventing the quick release adapter on the tripod from rotating or moving when I try to switch cameras.

Has anyone tried anything like this before? Is this method likely to allow me to switch cameras without moving the framing too much? Or do you have a better idea?

Many thanks!
Gabe

If you use the same tripod, and even if you use the same quick release between the two cameras, it shouldn't matter if there is any minor movement because you still have to account for the difference in the camera dimensions.

I would think you could align the two in PP and then crop then the same.

If all you're trying to do is compare the HDR results two different ameras, I don't see why it matters if the registration changes a little bit. As long as the najority of the scene is that same it should be perfectly adequate for comparison.

Hi, Sorry for posting this topic to multiple forums: It wasn't clear to me which forum was better for what I was trying to accomplish!

So, I want to be precise about the alignment because I am going to use some mathy/numerical methods to compare the two images (I am doing a research project) and the better the alignment is in the source images, the more accurate the results will be. I agree that this would not be an issue if I were just doing a visual comparison (this is kind of a special case).

I am actually using the same camera model for both images, so the physical dimensions between cameras should be pretty close. The difference is that one of the two cameras has been modified internally to change the optical behavior.

I am planning on aligning the images using software, as you said, but I want the images to be as close as possible before that so I don't introduce any errors due to misalignment (particularly rotations) introduced while switching cameras, etc.. Which is why I am being so anal about the alignment : ). Do you guys have any ideas as to the most precise way to go about this camera switcheroo with a tripod and SLRs (or if there is another method with something other than a tripod, I would be curious)?

Thanks,
Gabe

So I was roughly thinking, get a quick release plate for both cameras that has some kind of anti-twist mechanism. So each camera would be pretty close in orientation (within some tolerance) when you mount it on the tripod.

And on the tripod head, get a quick release adapter of some sort. But are these quick release adapters prone to rotations and stuff when you change cameras? Someone might know this.

Then, REALLY lock down the tripod as best as possible, take the first image, switch out cameras, and take the second image.

If you know of any quick release adapters that would work well for this, etc., that would be helpful. I am not so familiar with tripods so I thought I'd inquire of people who had more experience!

Thanks!

So I was roughly thinking, get a quick release plate for both cameras that has some kind of anti-twist mechanism. So each camera would be pretty close in orientation (within some tolerance) when you mount it on the tripod.

And on the tripod head, get a quick release adapter of some sort. But are these quick release adapters prone to rotations and stuff when you change cameras? Someone might know this.

Then, REALLY lock down the tripod as best as possible, take the first image, switch out cameras, and take the second image.

If you know of any quick release adapters that would work well for this, etc., that would be helpful. I am not so familiar with tripods so I thought I'd inquire of people who had more experience!

Thanks!

You are probably going to have to adjust a minor amount of the panning because the camera I have doesn't have a notch in the camera to align the quick release the same, so it will have to be eye balled...and even then it will still probably be off a bit.

I wouldn't use a tripod at all for exactly the reasons outlined above. I'd affix a slot that the camera fits tightly inside of on top of a level surface - though that might be a little more effort and might require some woodworking skills!

because even in land survey where things are measured into accuracy that will mind boggle you, we still use reference points to match images together in both position and perspective.

best I would think you could hope for is to set up a tripod, take your images and establish identical local points in each image and crop to that.

Enjoy.

There is software that will align an image to match another one, without otherwise altering the image. The only example I can offer is Picture Window Pro which I use. It will allow alignment based on multiple (up to 100 I think) alignment points.

There is software that will align an image to match another one, without otherwise altering the image. The only example I can offer is Picture Window Pro which I use. It will allow alignment based on multiple (up to 100 I think) alignment points.

Photoshop has an auto-align feature too.

I think you're taking this a little too seriously, personally. Just swap them on the tripod. Few people, if anyone, will notice the minuscule difference in perspective.

Use a lens with a tripod collar. Then you can just pull one camera off the lens, and put the other on, with no registration change to the lens position. Unless you are shooting two different brands...

Most reactions

Back