What's new

Taking Wedding Photo Tips

I am new like you and there is no way I would charge anybody for a wedding photo. I will charge them $0 with something in writting that you are not responsible for anything if you are not producing the images they are expecting. I also want something in writting that says that they are OK with you putting their photographs in your portfolio. Also, you will need 2 cameras just in case one stops working. It is not an engagement photos where you can cancel or postpone on a different date!
 
arch- they loved the engagement photos that I did for them and the bridal photos. Me and the bride have talked about exactly what she is wanting and I am prepared with a checklist from her of things that SHE wants so I won't miss them. She also knows that I am a new photographer. I feel very prepared. I guess my post made me sound less prepared. Basically I just wanted some advice on how to stay out of the way while getting good shots. And any advice on aperture/iso/shutter speed. I know the basics but just wanted tips.

I am adding a few of the engagement photos on here for you to see:

LeslieandBlake025.jpg


LeslieandBlake021.jpg


LeslieandBlake003.jpg
 
I think part of the reason you're receiving this amount of general skepticism from everybody, is that the "aperture, shutter speed, ISO stuff" ARE the basics.
 
LeslieandBlake003.jpg

OK, there are a lot of things that are wrong on this photo (and the other two).
1. You shouldnt have cut out his hand and her foot or choose a different picture!
2. You need flash on this situation. The background is too exposed. The sun is too harsh
3. On the background it looks like there is a shady area! Not sure why you didnt take pictures there?

I dont mean to be cocky because I am new my self but I can honestly say I can take a better picture than this with my point and shoot camera.
 
I think part of the reason you're receiving this amount of general skepticism from everybody, is that the "aperture, shutter speed, ISO stuff" ARE the basics.

Exactly.

EXIF Data said:
# Camera Model = Canon PowerShot SX20 IS
Exposure Mode = auto exposure (0)

I wish you luck, but I think you should slow down with the business stuff, take a hobbyist approach and hone your skills a bit.

I doubt you're going to listen though, so good luck with the weddings..
:gah:
 
I hope the wedding photos come out straighter.
 
f your in a church your going to be in low light. Shoot with a aperture around 2.8 or as low as you can go " doing this it wil be hard to hit your focus so make sure you focus on what you want. It has a small depth of field with 2.8. Bump your iso up to 800 or how ever high you want. but practice this and see how much grain you have with each level of iso. Try to keep your shutter speed above 1/60 anything lower and your probably going to see blur.
 
taking someones engagement picture or bridal photo is WAY different then a wedding because there are no do-overs, you screw up, it is it! It is Final. If you messed up an engagement or bridal photo, opps, we will have have to meet again tomorrow so we can reshoot them.

That is the difference.
 
I say go ahead and do the wedding, but as a 2nd shooter and do NOT charge.

If the want prints, then charge for the prints, but let them hire a pro if they want pro pictures.

Now some people don't want pro pictures, my mom for example, her 3rd wedding is in a few weeks and she is not getting a photographer she is having a few point and shoot disposable camera on the tables (outside beach wedding) and relying on others to get pictures, but she doesnt want pro pictures...

In that case, I would shoot a wedding, and I am but I'm not charging.
 
Well, good luck with the wedding. Please make sure that the rear lens element of each lens is clean and smudge free before shooting. The front elements ought to be clean as well, but it is the smaller, rear elements, the one inside the camera, that has a positively huge impact on the photos; a smudge on the rear element can seriously disrupt the light rays coming out of the lens on their way to the sensor.

As far as an ISO tip: outdoors in bright light, keep the ISO lowish, like say 200 or 250. There is no need to use higher ISO settings if there are sunny backgrounds. Indoors, your ISO levels will need to be higher, especially with the amateur-level lenses you have--those lenses do not gather a whole lot of light like the pro-grade lenses, so you'll quite often need to compensate by elevating the ISO to 640,800,or 1000 indoors in average light, OR to 1,600 or 2,000 or 2,500 or even 3,200 in dim,dark,crummy indoor lighting, without flash.

Indoors, if you DO use flash, you can usually shoot flash at ISO levels of 320,400,500,640 or so, and get decent results. The SB 600 is not super-powerful, but it's a moderately powerful flash, so using it at ISO 400,500,or 640 will give you faster flash recycle times than if you were using it at lower ISO values like 200. Also, using the flash with the ISO set to slightly higher ISO levels like 400,500,640, or even 800 ISO makes the need for flash less-critical, and allows you to shoot more flash shots per charge of batteries AND means that the flash output is actually smaller than with lower ISO levels, so there's less need to blind people with high-power flash blasts when the camera is set to say, ISO 640 with flash indoors.

Shutter speed tips: Outdoors in bright sun, the "correct" exposure is the ISO of the camera or film, with the lens set at f/16, and the shutter set to a speed that is equal to the film speed or ISO in use. With a Nikon that has a base-level ISO of 200, that means the camera is set to ISO 200, the lens to f/16, and the shutter is at 1/200 second. That means with a D3000, your bright sunlight flash shots are all going to be tending toward almost over-exposed unless they are shot at f/16, at 1/200 second, at ISO 200. That small f/stop of f/16 will ensure that almost everything from near to far is in-focus, and dust on your sensor will look like little black fleas.

Your engagement shots in bright light are over-exposed, and desperately need some fill-in lighting. Many point and shoot digitals with higher flash synch speeds can and will shoot better-looking photos in dappled backlight than a D3000. Seriously. My buddy Steve's old little Fuji 3800 P&S does a remarkably good job with fill-flash in dappled sunlight and backlighting. Better than your samples, largely due to mechanical/technical limitations the D3000 has and which the inter-lens shuttered Fuji 3800 does not suffer from.
 
Very often the ministers and priests won't allow using flash because it distract there work. Flash often blinds them as they facing the audience and the photographer. Also it very obtrusive to use flash during solemn ceremony. Using flash is one of the way not "stay out of the way". That's why pro's using expensive gear (full frame sensor, fast lenses) that enable them to handle low light conditions without using flash.
If you using entry level DSLR and a slow kit lens, your images end up being blurry due to the low shutter speed and/or very noisy due to high ISO.
 
so if I have a D3000 should I not shoot outdoors?

lol total hijack I know, but just wondering.
 
the engagement photos were not taken with my d3000. They were taken with a canon powershot SX20 IS. I just upgraded about 2 months ago to the DSLR.

DERREL and SETHALBRITTON thank you so much for the advice! It is exactly the information I was looking for!
 
I don't understand why everyone is getting so bent out of shape....if someone hire's a photographer for $120 for a wedding (My wedding photographer cost me just over $4K and he was GREAT!).... they're going to get exactly what they pay for...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom