What's new

Taking Wedding Photo Tips

I don't understand why everyone is getting so bent out of shape....if someone hire's a photographer for $120 for a wedding (My wedding photographer cost me just over $4K and he was GREAT!).... they're going to get exactly what they pay for...
It's one thing to do a wedding for free, or for insanely low prices - it is quite a different thing to do a wedding when you don't even know how your camera works.

From what the OP said in this and other threads, it didn't really sound like she had any idea what she was doing. That's why I said what I did.

If you are having "trouble understanding ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed" (direct quote...), you should not be shooting a wedding. Period.

That is of course just my personal opinion. I do believe it is an opinion shared by many others though...

In the end, everyone here can do whatever they want. I'm just trying to bring a little reality into the equation instead of just blowing smoke up her ass.


edit
----
What I would do in your situation is tell them that you will attend the wedding, and bring your camera. Take a few pictures throughout the day... If there are some keepers - Awesome! If not - Oh well, who cares. Nobody is out anything, and you got some practice.

If having wedding photos is important to them, tell them that you are not ready to do it, and recommend that they hire a pro.
 
Last edited:
Can you go to the church before hand and during the approx time of the wedding so you can get a feel for natural lighting that will be there that day?
maybe take some test shots and get your settings worked out?
 
yup I am going a week before the wedding and looking at what i'm working with.

I don't know how many more times I need to say this but I know how to use my camera! I know the basics. I was just looking for tips. :)

thanks to all who have given me great help, I know I am going to do a great job and the wedding is a month away and I am practicing all day every day! I am off work for the summer and have a 4 year old who loves to let me practice with her! :)
 
I don't know how many more times I need to say this but I know how to use my camera! I know the basics.
OK, that's good. You did start another thread saying how you just bought your camera and needed help understanding the basics though...

You can see why I would have thought you weren't ready, right?

Good Luck!

:er:





:taped sh:
 
You need to start taking weird object picture like O|||||O. You wont get in trouble if the picture sucks :)
 
You need to start taking weird object picture like O|||||O. You wont get in trouble if the picture sucks :)
:lmao:

You can't go wrong with abstract. If it sucks, other people just don't get it. ;)
 
this reminds me of Judge Joe Brown --> [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js7RzcdDcMs[/ame]

Just remember what is a fast lens (or GET a fast lens). Get to know how to bounce light and have a diffuser. And many RELIABLE memory cards.
 
Just want to know I'm not implying anything and just poking at fun :)
 
I know I will take wedding photos fine. You have to start somewhere right? Plus this is not a huge expensive wedding, it is a little country wedding in a small church with a few people. Not going to be huge. I have done engagement photos for the couple as well as bridal photos. They also know that I am new to this and by no means am a "professional". They have been super pleased with the work i've done so far. I was just looking for tips, not negativity. I take all the adivice you guys have given me but didn't all of you start somewhere? I know a lot about my camera but I was just looking to learn tips from pro's. I don't charge a lot right now because I am new to this. I will eventually up my prices but in the area I live in $500 is a lot for a wedding. Thanks for all the replies....
If you can get people to pay you to take photos, I say go for it.

However, you need to be aware that by accepting money to shoot you will be a business and legally liable. Depending where you live you may be in legal violation by accepting money for a service without registering your business or getting a business license. The financial penalties and fines can be pretty severe for failing to do so. Some new photographers manage to fly under the radar, but some also get caught.

So, you need a contract, and other legal paperwork unless you don't mind winding up in court without a leg to stand on. You need business liability insurance and business indemnity insurance. If your state has such, you need to collect sales taxes and forward them to the state. Usually the state penalties and fines for failing to collect the taxes for the state are even more harsh than local fines and penalties for not having a legal business.

Lastly, you need to know that more cities and states are instituting reward programs for legal businesses letting them know of illegal businesses.

Good luck with your new venture. :thumbup:
 
Sarah... what you're getting here from folks is not negativity... it's experience and/or knowledge. Possibly some "jump on the bandwagon" behaviors, but still valid. You asked for advice and tips... and the advice and tips you are getting is "stay the hell away from weddings until you REALLY know what you are doing".

Don't assume it's negativity just because you don't like what you hear.

I've been shooting constantly for 7 years have many thousands of dollars worth of equipment, I dare say I understand my camera and photography in general very well, and I even shoot professionally... and there is no way in hell I would shoot a wedding as a primary... and I would seriously hesitate to shoot one as a formal secondary.

That should say something to you.

If not... well... good luck, I guess. *shrug*
 
The cheap photographer in the youtube video uses A cheap entry level camera & two cheap kit lenses.

Your gonna use:
Nikon D3000 = A cheap entry level camera
18-55mm VR lens & 55-200mm VR lens = Cheap kit lenses

Goodluck anyway.
 
I said in a earlier post thank you for all the replies and I am listening to all of them. I do appreciate it a lot although some of them sound very negative.

I will definatley make a contract. I also need to state the fact that when this couple choose me they KNEW that I was not professional. They looked at professinals but liked my simple work. I have been learning everything about my camera and taking and deleting photos like crazy. The sb600 flash is AWESOME! I know it is entry level as is all of my equipment but it is good equipment also. I am not trying to make millions. This is my hobby and I get paid for it. Not a lot but enough to be worth my time.

Like I said in a earlier post, I know my post made me sound like I had no clue, but I didn't mean it that way. There is no emotion in reading words on a screen so it was just taken the wrong way.

I am confident I will do a good job and that is all that matters. I have to start somewhere. My stuff may not be technically correct and perfect but its MY work and MY style. I am learning and will be learning about photography for the rest of my life as times change, as so will all of you.

I hope none of you took my replies as being mad or upset, because i'm not. Just trying to learn and get advice from good photographers.
 
OK, my last post in this thread was meant to be my last ... but I just have to say one more thing, then I'm done.

This is my hobby and I get paid for it.
You don't get paid for hobbies. You do hobbies for fun.

If you're getting paid for it, it is no longer a hobby - it has become a job.

edit
Hobbies cost money, not make money. :lol:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom