What's new

Tallships in the Harbour

Antarctican

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
24,892
Reaction score
85
Location
The Great White North
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Three tallships sailed into Toronto harbour last Thursday…

Bluenose II (Schooner. North Americans may recognize it from the Canadian dime)
bluenoseaz8.jpg


The Pride of Baltimore
baltimorete6.jpg


The Brigantine Niagara
niagarakk2.jpg


The Niagara with sails furled
niagarafurledgt8.jpg
 
How fortunate you were to catch these. Was this a planned event and you found your perch before their arrival?

I like the bird leading the way in #3.

How did the regatta go over the weekend?
 
How fortunate you were to catch these. Was this a planned event and you found your perch before their arrival?

I like the bird leading the way in #3.

How did the regatta go over the weekend?
I took the shots from my window. I vaguely knew the Bluenose was coming to town, but didn't know what time, and didn't know about the other two coming as well. Their actual arrival came to my attention when I saw the fireboat spraying away, and the ships then fired off their cannons. Trust me, the cannons get one's attention pretty fast!

The regatta went well, thanks for asking! My dragonboat team had two boats entered, and both boats got a gold and a bronze in their respective divisions. The rainy weather they were calling for pretty much held off during the day, so all in all it was a great success.
 
:pirate:

You have the coolest window.

Old planes and sailing ships- Love them, but I have no retention and can watch the same shows over and over and never get bored.

Reminds me to get to work on my model canoe.
 
... cannons get one's attention pretty fast!

The regatta went well, thanks for asking! My dragonboat team had two boats entered, and both boats got a gold and a bronze in their respective divisions. The rainy weather they were calling for pretty much held off during the day, so all in all it was a great success.

Is it too stupid for me to ask what's a dragonboat?
 
Is it too stupid for me to ask what's a dragonboat?
Not in the least! It's a sport out of China that is quickly growing in popularity in North America. That said, it's not all that well known. It's apparently based on the 2,000+ year old story of villagers racing out in their boats to try to save a popular poet and philosopher from drowning.

There are 22 people in long, narrow boats (20 rowers sitting two-across, a drummer at the very front, and the steersperson at the back) racing for 500 metres. On race day, the boat has a dragonhead and tail affixed to it - hence the name. The key to doing well in a race is staying in synch, which is easier said than done with so many rowers and the race pace.

Here's a pic I took of the other boat my team had entered in the race (as I obviously couldn't take pics of my own boat).

returnkz9.jpg
 
Oh, and in the division final where we won the gold, it was a close race. We beat the second place boat by .21 of a second!
 
Congrats on the racing, but that's not why I'm here in this thread at time... I'm here to tell you that...

I'M GOING TO SEE KUNG FU PANDA FOR THE THIRD TIME AND I CAN'T WAIT!
 
No... that's not why I'm here either... Oh yeah!!! Before this thread got so utterly derailed by a certain popular poster... Those tailships as you call them are so cool. Is there a way one could ride on one? Nice picts all around Anty.
 
These tallships were visiting (eg the Bluenose II is from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia), so you could go on them to look around while they were at the dock in Toronto, but I'm not sure they were taking people out. Toronto has several slightly smaller sailing ships that are here all the time that take people out though.



(Haven't seen Kung Fu Panda yet, but I hear the new 'in' word is 'Skidoosh'!)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom