Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 DI VC

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tamron today announced the Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 DI VC USD ulta-wide zoom lens, which the company says is the first ultra-wide zoom to offer image stabilization (called “vibration compensation” in Tamron-speak).

Why vibration compensation on an ultra-wide-angle lens, you might ask? Tamron says that a “number of photographers” have voiced this need to them, and that the feature allows the lens to perform better in shooting night scenes and under low light conditions.

The lens is designed for full frame cameras, and packs an ultrasonic focusing motor, 18 elements in 13 groups, and a 9-blade diaphragm. Special coatings on the elements help address ghosting and flaring that’s common among wide angle lenses, reducing them “to an absolute minimum,” according to the company.

There’s also a fluorine coating on the front element, the first of its kind on a Tamron lens, that allows the glass to repel water and dirt.

In terms of portability, the lens measures at roughly 5.7 inches (145mm) long and weighs about 2.4 pounds (1.1kg).

The 15-30mm will be available in Canon, Nikon, and Sony mounts. Pricing and availability have yet to be announced.

This could be the wide angle lens i was looking for. It even comes with a fresh coat of fluorine.

Err .. you should really post links to articles you post, please.

Tamron develops full-frame 15-30 f/2.8 ultra-wide zoom with vibration correction: Digital Photography Review

Definitely an interesting lens and tempting offer. I wonder if it can use filters ? And price.

But my AF-S 16-35mm f4 VR already offers image stabilization, and since recently Canon has an EF 16-35mm f4 IS as well ... and "ultra ultra wide" starts at 16mm, for what I've been told, and "ultra wide" starts even much earlier anyway, typically below 24mm. But I guess thats a question of how you're defining "ultra wide" ? The dpreview text, which probably is the official text, however actually says
the world's first in its category.
Which is true, I dont know any other 15-30mm f2.8 lens ! So yeah, its definitely the first 15-30mm with image stabilization !! Haha !

Btw I absolutely love image stablization in a wide lens. It helps with video and static subjects in low light.

Yeah this is a lens I am interested in. Would round out my Holy Trinity of Tamron

From the comments in all the blogs I read it seems it will not accept filters. Not the biggest deal for me as I would like it for events but could see how this would be a big disqualifier for some landscape guys.

I guess I know what I'm getting after the 150-600.

I'll be covered with Tamron's VC from 15-600mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back