Tamron 16-300mm

mrs.hankIII

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a quick search and didn't find much about this lens on this forum. Curious if anyone has any firsthand experience with it? Stepped into the camera shop to get an idea on walk around lenses. Looking for something versatile. Macro and telephoto capabilities. This one came highly recommended. For under $700 it seems like a decent choice?

Tamron 16-300mm F 3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Lens

I was interested in this lens also.....what few reviews I could find were about 50/50.....I wanted this lens for my wife to use on her D3200. I ended up purchasing the Tamron 18-270 F3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD instead. $399 after rebate, and had a lot more reviews, with better results.....I hope I made the right choice.....The lens should be here by Wednesday.....

Last edited:
All the reviews I have read so far have been positive. Haven't ran across any negative yet and that's mainly what I'm looking for. Interesting you found some! Do you remember what the negatives were?

The 3 or negative were about the inability to focus....one was out of the box, and the others were from one person that said they went through 3 of the lenses....the longest quit autofocus after 1000 clicks.....don't know if I really accepted that, but I decided on the 18-270, just in case.....

Oh snap. Things like that are why I'm trying to find someone who has been using it for a while.

Just to be sure you are aware, these superzoom lenses are great for flexibility but the image quality you are getting is not very sharp.
Personally when I take a picture I like it to be the best possible and any super zoom will not work for that thus I will never ever get one of these lenses.
Another fact is that forget about using it in low light situation as its a very slow lens.
If you are ok with this then by all means enjoy your new lens.

Yeah it got marked off the list pretty quick when I delved deeper into some reviews. Definitely not something I'm interested in at this point.

I think an 85mm f/1.8 or the 100mm f/2.8 prime lenses will be a better choice for me. I need portrait lenses more than I need a walk around type lens.

Most reactions

Back