Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VS Sigma 18-50 f2.8

mikie2084

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im deciding between these two lenses, and like to hear opinions. I had my mind made up on the Tamron til I saw a post from Jerry. Which is better? If you have any photos from each lense please post up.

Thanks

Mike

From what I can tell, they are very close so don't knock yourself out over the choice.

I think the newest version of the Sigma tests a little better than the Tamron, but not the older version from Sigma. I have the Tamron and I love it.

Thanks mike!

I have a d40, hopefully a d90 by mid year. Im still pretty set on the Tamron, I just dont like buying things twice. (d40 to d90)

I use the Tammy, and I love it.

Love the Tamron.... Love it love it love it.... I would go with it for sure. Here's one from a session last week.

DSC_8846.jpg

Think im going with the Tamron, thanks everybody!

The Sigma looks very good too! What to do, what to do!?

It's a "win-win" situation, so better don't think to much about it. I have the Tamron and have shot many good photos with it, but I've seen many people happy with their Sigmas.

Sigma: Better Image Quality, Better AF, Macro capabilities
Tamron: Less sample variation, smaller filter size (I think).

I have the Sigma and love it. I don't even use my 50mm F1.8 anymore. You can't go wrong either way, but I'd recommend the Sigma. The Sigma's Bokeh is absolutely amazing also. Just make sure you get the HSM version.

I have the Tamron and I definitely notice that extra millimeter at the wide end. The AF isn't too bad for my usage (at least not on the versions with the built-in motor), mainly just noisy, but I like its sound and performance better than those of a screwdrive lens, like my 50mm AF-D on my Nikon N70. I guess you could say it whines a little (though even that is making it sound worse than it is).

From what I've heard, the Tamron hunts for focus like Elmer Fudd.

Looking at pics on the internet of either is not going to help too much, but if you need a basically SOOC pic from the Sigma:

2175705753_b765f22f15.jpg

What will help is that in a shootout last year (as I said before), between Tamron, Sigma and Nikon, Sigma kicked butt in 3 independent tests done by 3 different magazines. On top of that, the Sigma has a 3:1 macro that none of the others have. It also has a slightly better numbers concerning CA, distortion, flare and is sharper.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back