Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VS Sigma 18-50 f2.8

sigma is the cheapest of the bunch, btw. . .$369 is a steal compared to $500-600 for Tamron or Tokina. . .

have no clue, I borught it back to "life" simply because I was doing a cursory comparison, and price is a huge factor when setting up your photo biz initially, so the Sigma makes a lot of sense compared to the others. . .

This is a no brainer... lol
3 magazines chose the Sigma over the Tamron... and the Sigma has a macro (no its not a 1:1 macro) to boot. Yes, they are close, and you could be happy with either one, but clearly the better one is the Sigma.

2219046921_12020217f7.jpg

2309352920_0f8c7f245d.jpg

You cannot get this close with the Tamron:
1555055224_db57abac7e.jpg

Or get macro results like this:

Click on the picture above, even that is still not a 100% crop, but you can see it is sharp.

If you cannot make a decision, rent them both out or test them both out and make the choice that is right for you.

Last edited:
Is there a difference in IQ between the HSM version and non-HSM of the Sigma 18-50?

Be careful.

There were *3* iterations of the 18-50 that Sigma put out. The first ones were absolutely terrible. The second ones were a little better... but only a little (read: "still crap").

The one that you want is the Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 DC EX HSM MACRO. Don't waste money on the other ones. They've been discontinued now for a touch over 2 years.

As good as the HSM MACRO is... the other versions are not worth the money. BTW, the focus speed on the latest 18-50 from Sigma is very good... accurate and fast. Yes it is a touch louder but thats not something that affects performance.

Last edited:
What's worth noting is that it is not at all a macro lens, so trying to focus on things nearby can cause it trouble.

See my pic above. ;)
You may have a previous version of this lens (gen 1 or gen 2?). Even Sigma refers to the latest iteration as a macro lens on their website.

I've had my Tamron for a while now. I think i'm going to save for the Sigma HSM as I can't stand how slowly the Tamron focuses and hunts in low light. If the HSM system in the 18-50 focuses nearly as fast as my 70-200 hsm, then i'll be much happier i'm sure.

Test or rent before spending the bucks, thats all that I can suggest, bhop. That way expectations are 100% accurate. ;)

I dont think you can go wrong either way. If you save a few bucks with the Sigma go for it. I still have my Tamron, its still razor sharp and i still love it..

AJC Autoshow
3363882719_284cfd3351.jpg

3364144645_2cdf063853.jpg

I have the Tamron and it is crazy sharp even at f2.8. I may have just gotten an excellent copy, but I almost wouldn't want it any sharper.

I almost went with the Sigma, but I am not prepared to deal with the huge sample variation that comes with the Sigma. Basically, it's a gamble as to whether you'll get a good copy first try (without front or back focusing).

I've not really noticed any problems with focus hunting on my Tamron. I can garuntee that if I bought the Sigma I would either buy a used one so I could see samples proving it was a good copy...or buy from an actual store where I could walk it back in to return it if it was a bad copy.

Im pretty much in the same situation, I cant decide if I go for the tamron or the sigma....

As to getting the sigma with HSM, im rolling on a Canon mount, and there are only a HSM version for Nikon mounts....

HELP !!!

The sigma is $370 ($450 CAD) and tamron $420 ($520) on BH and over the internet. Im buying on the internet cause here in Canada its like $650 + 15% taxes for those lens retail...

I would go for the Sigma, but after reading Jerry's post I am in the lost once more.

Im pretty much in the same situation, I cant decide if I go for the tamron or the sigma....

As to getting the sigma with HSM, im rolling on a Canon mount, and there are only a HSM version for Nikon mounts....

HELP !!!

The sigma is $370 ($450 CAD) and tamron $420 ($520) on BH and over the internet. Im buying on the internet cause here in Canada its like $650 + 15% taxes for those lens retail...

I would go for the Sigma, but after reading Jerry's post I am in the lost once more.

Just a heads up you can buy the Tamron from Lens and Shutter for $499 CDN. I almost bought one from them but then found a 6 month old used one for $275 CDN. It's my fav lens right now :)

The one that you want is the Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 DC EX HSM MACRO. Don't waste money on the other ones. They've been discontinued now for a touch over 2 years.

Is this true for Nikon only???

I'm looking to buy this lens for a Canon 50D, but can't find an HSM. What gives?

ive been deciding which one to get to. Either the Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina.

but what about the Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC HSM Macro Autofocus Lens???
20 more mm of zoom than the 50. is this just as sharp? it sells at BH for $370 also.
Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC HSM Macro Autofocus Lens

from all the reviews and comments on this thread i think i would pick the sigma. because....
quick focus
quiet
macro
super sharp
nice bokeh

just my opinion. but the 17-70

someone let me know whats goin on with that lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back