Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC // decisions....decisions...

cminus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
cminusphotos.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have read this lense is not as sharp as its non VC counterpart, but I can get one for 450 almost new, shipped.

Few questions tho:

1. If I shut off VC, will sharpness improve?
2. Should I jump on this deal either way?

I'm so torn lol, help me TPF..your my only hope

/end Star Wars reference.

Sharpness won't improve turning off vc.
I wouldn't

Nope as more about lens design and element layout. Tho many say the non-VC is sharper at f2.8. Where not talking a lot of difference here. Pixel peepers might notice a tad softness at f2.8 wide open. But sharpens up quite nicely at f4.

But the other advantage of the non-VC is smaller and smaller front element for more common filter size and less bulky.
And can find one in the $250-$350 used.

So I would probably pass for cheaper used non-VC would be fine by me. As paid $300 for mine used.

I read tthat some of the sharpness issues were from not letting the VC "settle" before snapping..

Hmmm...this isn't making it much easier lol.....anyone else

Thx for the replies so far.

We have the tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-vc and love it. I cant imagine the VC version not being great as well.

I was just trying to make the same decision myself, I went in the opposite direction and purchased the Sigma instead. The $75 rebate on the Tamron currently does make it more attractive though.

I have the non VC version of it and while I really like the lens, it's not TACK sharp. It's by far sharper than a consumer grade lens, but it's not all that and a bag of chips either. If the VC version isn't as sharp as the non VC version it's getting way to close to consumer grade for me.

It also isn't a full frame lens and that's my biggest regret with it. Wish I had gotten the 28-75 instead. Now I really want to upgrade it to the 24-70 f/2.8 VC

Excellent, I have a D7000 so full frame is not a big deal for me.

I'm convinced, buying the non vc tonight. TPF is the best, thanks!

Excellent, I have a D7000 so full frame is not a big deal for me.

I'm convinced, buying the non vc tonight. TPF is the best, thanks!
I thought the same thing when I bought mine. "Eh, I'll never go full frame..."

Be sure to test it out throughly during the return/exchange period. As cheaper 3rd party have a tendency to have more lemons in the wild. And always buy from a know reputable dealer with good return/exchange policies.

But me thinks you'll love the lens.

Red Blast by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back