Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD thoughts?

I think any non-telephoto with a non-constant aperture that only goes down to 3.5 at it's widest is junk.

So I can only assume that all your lenses are faster than 3.5? What camera body do you shoot with? You must have some really nice stuff, having such an opinion about junky vs. non-junky gear and seemingly being so picky about it.

I have the lowly 18-55mm kit lens, and the lowly 55-200mm VR, for what they are, for what they were designed to do, for what they cost, they do just fine as far as IQ goes. I had a Nikon 18-200 VR, and although I really liked the focal length (WHOOPS, not faster than a 3.5), I don't feel the IQ had a value of 3X what the 55-200mm VR sells for.

A Professional photographer from say, 7-10 years ago would consider much of the technology that some of us consider substandard as being to die for.

Like it really takes $1,500.00 to get into photography, and to be able to take nice photographs.

There are many here who love photography who could never spend that much $$ on their camera gear.

Photography is supposed to be fun, not make you brokeh doing it...

uh, I shoot with a d50 and a that 18-55 kit lens every day. No, I don't have any fancy gear.

Its a junk lens. Take it for what it is and stop getting your feelings hurt like I'm saying you're broke because you use it.

I use it. Its not good. sorry?
I'm not talking about people or their personal finance.

relax people.

Feelings are not hurt, would take a hell of a lot more than you to do that.

And I am not broke by any means. Haven't had a job since mid-1996, then wife quit her job in 2000. Don't work, don't have to...

Only reason I mentioned finances (and none of it was personal) is that it doesn't take a $1,000 camera body and a $1,000 lens to take very nice photographs, and call what we love so much as a hobby.

Just kinda reminds me of some young kid (not you in person, just generically some young kid) who has no clue about the real value of money, gets his license next year, and wants a Porsche or Ferrari as his first car, and looks down on anyone who doesn't have one. Takes someone older to get the point, as many of us have been there when we were younger.

You will never get it no matter what I say, and I don't want to extend the thread by arguing, so I am outta this thread.

He said 350 is best he can do but he lives really close to me. Not sure if I should do it or not ahhh

How long are you willing to wait for another one to save $25.00 - $50.00?

BUT - just noticed that you have a D40, will this lens AF on your D40?

You might need to look for a lens with a focusing motor in the lens. My Sigma "HSM" has that, but they also go for about $350.00 used.

Yeah it will auto focus on the d40 already looked into that. Think ill actually be able to find one for 300 if I waited?

If it's in good shape, $350 is a decent price. I wouldn't wait too long. That's a savings of $100 off a new one on Amazon.

He said its mint cond and always ha a uv filter on. How would the nikkor 35mm af s f1.8 compare to this in terms of IQ you think?

How long are you willing to wait for another one to save $25.00 - $50.00?

BUT - just noticed that you have a D40, will this lens AF on your D40?

You might need to look for a lens with a focusing motor in the lens. My Sigma "HSM" has that, but they also go for about $350.00 used.

How do you like the Sigma lens?

While the Tamron is definitely sharper than the kit lens, I don't think this shows too much on the 6 megapixel D40. For what I do - mainly putting pictures online - I wish I had gone with either the 18-55VR (D60 kit lens) or the 18-105VR (D90 kit lens) since I'm usually not going for narrow depth of field or fast moving action shots yet do have problems with blur from hand movement.

I am torn between this, the 35mm AF-S f/1.8 and an SB600 flash unit. I do plan on upgrading to a D90 eventually but I would rather just wait to get this lens if its not going to make much of a difference on my D40.

While the Tamron is definitely sharper than the kit lens, I don't think this shows too much on the 6 megapixel D40. For what I do - mainly putting pictures online - I wish I had gone with either the 18-55VR (D60 kit lens) or the 18-105VR (D90 kit lens) since I'm usually not going for narrow depth of field or fast moving action shots yet do have problems with blur from hand movement.

Does anyone else agree with this? Not that I dont trust you, would just like another opinion.

Ugh I said id buy it and then he goes and sells it today...DAMN

This is the second thing this week I missed out on from craigslist.

Most reactions

Back