What's new

Tamron 17-50mm vs. VC version

quackal

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
I've read the review at The Digital Picture as well as a couple of other articles, re: the sharpness of the older version vs. the VC.

...So my question is, in the real world (handheld) can anyone speak to the trade-off of the benefit of the VC vs. the sharper image of the older version but prone to camera-shake?

thank you for the feedback!
 
Camera shake isn't much of an issue at the 17-50mm focal range, so I don't see how VC would help much.

Most people can hand hold a 50mm shot without any shake at 1/50th of a seconds, many at 1/30th. Shutter speeds below that would be prone to shake, but at those low speeds motion blur from the subject would be just as much of a problem.

I can see VC being useful if you're doing nighttime photography of static subjects, but if your photographing people, the shutter speeds that are low enough to benefit from VC would be too low prevent blur from motion.
 
Yep many have stated that the non-VC version is a tad sharper wide open at f2.8 than the newer VC.

And as djacobox372 has pointed out the VC would help a stop or so for static shots.
Only you can decide if the extra $150 for the VC is worth it for that. As I have had the non-VC for 3 yrs. now as one of my workhorse lenses. And quite happy as picked it up used for $350.

Starting out and if funds are a concern. Then I would have no concerns of recommending the non-VC. As there isn't really that much more to the VC version. A tad better build,a tad faster AF and VC. But if $150 isn't a big deal then why not have the newest.
.
 
VC is not that important to me for this range. With the fast speed of the f/2.8 plus the improvements in high ISO performance on modern cameras you have nothing to worry about.

A used Tam 17-50 2.8 can be found for around $300 on fleaBay and is a great value. I love mine.
 
Two other things that I have read re: the Tamron 17-50mm lens:

1. slow focus
2. noisy focus

what is your opinion on this?....have you experienced either?

thanks!
 
If you have the money, get the VC. Otherwise get the non-VC.

There are differences optically, but the difference are not really significant in day to day shooting. Slow focus? I should say slower, but not slow when it compare to other fast focus motor such as the Canon ring USM.

To be honest, I did not really feel the focus is slow at all (I have the non-VC version). Don't forget that the focus range is not that wide.

Noisy focus? Relatively speaking, it is not too bad unless you are taking a photo quiet indoor environment (i.e. Wedding ceremony) And since I am not a wedding photographer and I seldom need to take photos in a quite indoor environment, so it is fine with me. (People do not even notice/pay attention about my lens's AF noise.)
 
Because the focus motor is louder that others, I think people tend exaggerate the "slowness" of the focus speed.

On my 40D, the shutter sound is a lot louder than the Tamron focus...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom