Tamron 18-270mm for Canon

A4Effort

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I am in the process of deciding which lenses to purchase (Sigma 10-20mm being one of them) in the near furture and I came across the Tamron 18-270mm lens. I immediately googled and found bunch of reviews on it. Most of them praised the lens for its abilities. But I need reviews from people with experience.
This lense would be used for general photography.
So whats the verdict on this lens?
Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
As long as you don't expect too much from it it would be a good allrounder. Just dismantling some of the objective reviews:

It has very large distortion at 18mm (expected), huge vignetting at 18mm (expected), poor sharpness at 250mm (expected), and more than 1px width of CA for most of the lenses range which may lead to some nasty looks in high contrast situations.

Also the one critical thing is the lens is f/6.3 at 250mm. You have to consider the camera it will be mounted to. This dark aperture puts the lens at the failure point for autofocusing in anything but the brightest conditions. But this is camera dependant so your mileage may vary.

I have heard nothing on it's construction though. The 18-200 from Nikon has problems with zoom creeping under the weight of all the moving glass, and with 16 elements this is probably going to be a similar issue as the lens wares on.

Again it's a great single lens to have, but it's not a quality lens by any means.

Thank you Garbz for you help.
Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

I joined this forum to try to get some info on this lens since I'm new to photography and it looks like an everything in one lens, so it is convenient this post is fairly close to the front page :mrgreen:

What I can gather from googleing around some is that this lens is still unavailable in North America and that it has an outstanding range of uses. First question then is: when is this going to be on the shelves in North America? Secondly, the image quality sounds to be lacking all around, but how bad is that compared to modern entry level DSLR lenses?

I'm currently using a Rebel Xsi with the kit EFS 18-55mm IS and a EF 75-300mm III USM. Could I expect a negative impact on image quality by using the Tamron 18-270mm instead of both of these other lenses?

Thanks for the info! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back