Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Nikon 24-85 2.8-4

MOREGONE

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I recently upgraded to a D600 and am finding myself missing a standard zoom

Sure I would love a 24-70 but that's not in the budget right now. So I am looking at these two lenses and would appreciate any feedback or experiences with them. It would have been a little easier if the 24-85 was a constant 2.8 or if the Tamron's wide end went to 24. Both seem to have some compromise aside from being older and not pro glass.

Thanks

Cough' Nikon 28-70 2.8' cough

Why not consider the Nikon 24-85mm VR which is the D600 kit lens ?
Its an excellent sharp lens, very good lens for its price.

I love my 24-85 VR, its the one I use most of the time.

I think those are still out of my price range, used they seem to be going for at least $700 from what I have seen.

Why not consider the Nikon 24-85mm VR which is the D600 kit lens ?
Its an excellent sharp lens, very good lens for its price.

I love my 24-85 VR, its the one I use most of the time.

It's just not fast enough for my taste. I have heard it is a great lens for sharpness but I do shoot a lot of low light clubs and concerts and I love blowing out the background.

DxO Mark has recently finished testing 72 different lenses on both the D800 and D600 (the same, exact samples on both cameras), and has recently published an article on the best lenses for the D600, in terms of various performance metrics. Maybe their site would be of some help?

I think those are still out of my price range, used they seem to be going for at least $700 from what I have seen.

The Nikon 28-70mm is a tab pricey but it's $700-900 cheaper than a Nikon 24-70mm and it's solid. I really wasn't looking to spend that much either but I'm glad I did.

DxO Mark has recently finished testing 72 different lenses on both the D800 and D600 (the same, exact samples on both cameras), and has recently published an article on the best lenses for the D600, in terms of various performance metrics. Maybe their site would be of some help?

good thought, just checked and turns out both lenses tied in overall score.

Both the Nikon and Tamron's 24-70's were points above. I wonder how the 28-70 Nikon would have faired. Supposed to be very sharp.

we have the tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and love it. it has been a great performing lens for many years now.

we have the tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and love it. it has been a great performing lens for many years now.

Do you have the built in motors or the older style? Seems to be a variance in reviews based on the two models.

Thanks!

Do you have the built in motors or the older style? Seems to be a variance in reviews based on the two models.

Thanks!

the older non-vc model. all of our cameras have built in motors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back