tamron 28.75mm vs canon 28-135mm IS

zapman29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the canon 28-135mm IS, but I hear the tamron is great lens for portrait shooting. SInce I have the canon allready is the tamron worth the buy.. I can always sell the canon. SInce its a 2.8 its compared similar to the 24-70 canon L. I cant afford the the L so I am trying to get your opinion on this before I buy... Thanks.....

I have the canon 28-135mm IS, but I hear the tamron is great lens for portrait shooting. SInce I have the canon allready is the tamron worth the buy.. I can always sell the canon. SInce its a 2.8 its compared similar to the 24-70 canon L. I cant afford the the L so I am trying to get your opinion on this before I buy... Thanks.....
Is there something about your 28-135mm that you're not happy with? f/2.8 is only half a stop faster than f/3.5, so you aren't going to gain much on the wide end. If you're using the long end a lot, you'll gain a couple stops there, but of course you'll lose 60mm.

I don't have any experience with the Tamron (I own the Canon), but you're staying in roughly the same price range, so I don't know that you'll see a huge difference optically.

Do you use your 50mm f/1.8 for portraits?
Have you considered the $386 Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM?
What exactly does this have to do with the thread?

I hear the tamron is great lens for portrait shooting... Since its a 2.8....
Do you use your 50mm f/1.8 for portraits? Have you considered the $386 Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM?
What exactly does this have to do with the thread? f/2.8 is only half a stop faster than f/3.5, so you aren't going to gain much on the wide end. If you're using the long end a lot, you'll gain a couple stops there...
The OP asked about a slightly faster zoom 28-75mm lens for portrait shooting. The half-stop difference from his existing zoom lens doesn't seem like much, and he already has a 50mm wide-aperture prime lens, so I asked if he used it for portraits or if he had considered a 30mm wide-aperture prime lens for portraits.

thanks i use the 50mm but somtimes i want the ability to zoom in and out.. i like the 28-135mm i use it as an all around lens i just know of a photgraopher who uses this lens with most of his work for portraits... i was just wondering if any of you had the same expirience... thanks for the inputs

I agree with Engineer, your 50mm F1.8, out of the lenses listed or mentioned, is probably the best option for 'portrait' shooting. You can zoom with your feet if need be, after all, that's what photographers did for 100 years before zoom lenses were invented. ;)

For all around shooting, the 28-135mm lens is pretty good. The only downside is the smallish max aperture, especially at the long end.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back