Tamron 28-80 mm, good or no?

What about used market or refurbished products?

$800 maybe able to get 6-8mp DSLR with couple decent used lenses.

If your absolute ceiling is $800, I would counsel you AGAINST getting ANY dSLR. Although you can easily enter at that level, you will want accessories as you progress -- tripods, flashes, additional memory cards, batteries, and, of course, GLASS. This adds up very quickly. You might consider a high-end bridge camera (for example, a Panasonic Lumix Z28 among many other excellent choices).

if we're talking an 800 budget right NOW...i disagree with this...a beginner kit can be had for less (as you stated)...the need for more (and better) glass, light, and accessories doesnt have to be immediate. those things can be saved up for.

check resellerratings.com before you pull the trigger on any bundle package off the web.

*EDIT*
i may have missed the part about spending 800 TOTAL on the hobby FOREVER...if thats the case, then yeah...DSLR is not for you.
but trust us....if you love the hobby...you will want to spend more money on it. :D

Thats what I was kinda thinking about, $800 on the immediate camera to get me started, If cameras are like computers, then I'll be saving for new lenses and accessories all the time!, if I get better at what I am doing. $800 on the hobby total.....no, thats not what I meant....I would like a camera I can control the settings on....shutter speed, AF/manual focus, ISO, etc...all that stuff my point and shoot has rudimentary settings for, but I can't fine tune it. Actually my point and shoot camera isn't even mine, its my mom's, I do have a Kodak 2 MP that I started out with, but there are very little settings on that.....

1 yes it is better than the 18-55, no offence to any conon users but they have the worst quality kit glass.

In case you may not aware of, the XSi shipped with a newer updated kit lens and it is pretty sharp lens.

Reviews

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - Test Report / Review

Canon Lens: Zooms - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (Tested) - SLRgear.com!
Thanks learned something new. But still its a good idea to replace it. I haven't yet but I need to find something first.

I would like a camera I can control the settings on....shutter speed, AF/manual focus, ISO, etc...all that stuff my point and shoot has rudimentary settings for, but I can't fine tune it......

Well, you can do all of this on a good bridge BUT ...

If the $800 is not an absolute ceiling, then go for the dSLR.

1 yes it is better than the 18-55, no offence to any conon users but they have the worst quality kit glass.

In case you may not aware of, the XSi shipped with a newer updated kit lens and it is pretty sharp lens.

Reviews

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - Test Report / Review

Canon Lens: Zooms - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (Tested) - SLRgear.com!
Thanks learned something new. But still its a good idea to replace it. I haven't yet but I need to find something first.

Agree! A fast standard zoom lens will be a good replacement!

Can everyone agree that his best buy, starting out ( and assuming an $800 budget) , would be a a dSLR body (XS or XSI if he wants Canon ) and then a medium range telephoto lense that is halfway decent?

How about an XSI body for $550 brand new

And a Sigma 24-70 2.8-4.0 EX for $159 its a DG model so it will work Full-framed as well if he ever upgraded in the future.

That puts him at $709.

Just throwing out ideas

It is going to be awhile, November at least, before I can place an order.....gotta save...

Can everyone agree that his best buy, starting out ( and assuming an $800 budget) , would be a a dSLR body (XS or XSI if he wants Canon ) and then a medium range telephoto lense that is halfway decent?

Yes!

I love my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and it basically lives on my camera.

For the price of a new XSi, you might find a good used 40D (I've seen a couple here in town for the mid $500s)

Most reactions

Back