Tamron Lens Questions

hellopandaa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a new lens for my Nikon D5000 and i was aiming towards a Tamron...can someone tell me which one is a better buy...some opinions on the brand itself.

Please help me out :):sexywink:

Like any other brand of lenses, they have some good ones and some that aren't so good.

Overall, you can find pretty good value (quality for your money) compared to similar lenses from Canon/Nikon etc.

You will have to be more specific about the type/range/price that you are looking for, before we can give you specific suggestions.

A new lens? A telephoto zoom? A wide zoom?

Tamron's 17-50 f/2.8 (non-vc) is a wide angle zoom which I own and it's very sharp. Worst thing about it is the loud focusing motor. Their 90mm f/2.8 macro is a nice lens too (I also have one of these) but it fringes a bit when wide open... something the canon 100mm f/2.8 does not do (and in your case, the Nikon 105mm I think.. which is probably optically equal to the canon).

I wouldn't get a cheap 70-300 though... I'd save for a better telephoto zoom. The Nikon 70-300 with VR is decent I've heard, and there's always the awesome 70-200's for the big bucks.

I wouldn't get a cheap 70-300 though... I'd save for a better telephoto zoom. The Nikon 70-300 with VR is decent I've heard, and there's always the awesome 70-200's for the big bucks.

I read that the newer 70-300mm VC lens from Tamron is a gem.
One of the review

The 28-75 2.8 has a bit following. I have one, and I like it. It cannot compete with decent primes, but as a do-it-all work horse on my DX Nikon it does very, very well indeed.

I read that the newer 70-300mm VC lens from Tamron is a gem.
One of the review

It's also not cheap, it's $450. I'm sure it's pretty decent.
I was just saying, stay clear of the bargain telephoto zooms.

I've tried the 70-200/2.8, it's very sharp, affordable, build quality is so-so, but autofocus performance is very slow by today's standards. But if you're not shooting fast action like sports, it might be good value.

I tried out the new tamron 18-270. I didn't like it at all. Holding it it just felt cheap, the zoom creep was terrible, there was very noticeable vignetting. The only good thing was the wide range it covered so you could have it on all day and never switch lenses.

well I'm into landscape and nature photogaphy and I'm willing to spend up to 600 bucks on a lens. :)

Just for your information, people just find that some Tamron lenses have issue with Canon bodies. The issue is some of them will not use the outer cross type sensors. So far, the Canon bodies that have issue with those lenses are 40D (I have this) 50D and 7D. So not sure if they have issue with Nikon body yet.

Lenses that are affected including the popular 17-50mm f/2.8 VC lens as well as the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.

Most reactions

Back