Tamron lens

zamm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to the dslr world. I recently purchased a Canon EOD 30D (brand new) for $590. From what I can find on the net, thst seems like it was a good deal. That is my first question, was it a good deal?

Secondly I am looking for a lens now. The one I am looking at is the Tamron SP AF 17-50/2.8 Di II LD Aspherical IF Macro Wide-Angle Telephoto Zoom Lens For Canon EOS Digital SLRs (67mm) for $399 (new). Is this a decent lens? I was also looking at the Canon 17-85mm 17-85 USM IS Lens KIT for the same price. I liked the Tamron better because it has a fixed max aperature.

Any feedback? Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.

I moved your thread because 'Lenses' aren't 'Digital'.

Did you get a good deal...that's hard to say. The 30D was much more than that when it was current...so for a brand new model, I guess that's a good price. However, the 30D was basically a 20D with a face lift, so the technology was basically released in 2004 (when the 20D came out), making it 7 years old. There have been a lot of advancements to these cameras since then...so I'd suggest that you could have gotten much better technology with a newer camera like the T2i or something like that.
That being said, the 30D is a bigger & 'better' body than the rebel series. So while you could have gotten newer technology, it's a toss up as to whether you could have gotten a better 'new' camera for that much. I would have suggested looking for a 40D or 50D...used or maybe refurbished. That would have been a nice step up from the 30D...although the 30D is still a very capable camera.

As for the Tamron lens, it's a good one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back