Tamron Lenses - Opinions

You can't really judge any lens manufacturer as a whole. You have to look at each lens on it's own. Canon makes some really great lenses, and some really bogus ones as well. Same with Nikon, Tamron, Sigma, etc...

Check www.fredmiranda.com and see if there's a review. Also google for other review sites.

In my experience, huge zooms like that are not very sharp. Find a pro store that has one and rent it for a day, or a weekend. For that price, you could get a 70-200 f/4L, which I'd bet my life is a much better lens. Doesn't cover that huge focal range, but if the tele is what you are looking for, it covers alot.

As Matt quite rightly said, that lens is trying to accomplish an incredibly difficult task. For fear of repeating myself endlessly and boring everyone.... have you considered buying a couple of prime (fixed) lenses instead?

The attraction of that lens is obvious - you only need to carry one body and one lens to cope with almost every situation. However, f6.3 at the long end is a very very dark bit of glass! If weight and portability are your main concern, perhaps a compact camera would be a more flexible option?

You might find that a 180mm f2.8 is "better" than a 300mm f6.3 as you're going to get a crisper steadier shot in lower light conditions and you can then blow it up bigger without image degradation. You'll get 5x (ish) the light, it's more realistic to hand-hold and the pictures will be "better". If you also buy a 50mm f1.4 or 1.8 standard lens for peanuts, you'll be surprised how many situations you'll be happy with. A regular $50-$100 standard lens will have double-ish the light of that lens at that length.

Good luck!

Rob

Eventhough I have the Tamron 28-300, I would direct you to Digital Matt's suggestion . You get a L glass for around the same price.

Its not that I don't like the Tamron glass. I like it for its light weight and okay zoom-work where there is plenty of light. But lately I have become a Prime lover and I haven't touched the 28-300 in a long time.

If you want zoom for that price range, the Canon 70/200 f4L might be your fine choice.

Cheerio! :)

thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 II zoom lens. But one of my biggest annoyances is at airshows and having to change lens for static display stuff because its much closer. I just read an article in Rangefinder about this Tamron lens and the author seemed to like it enough that he bought one after reviewing it. I was just looking for others opinions on it.

And all you Digiographers, how much does Digital Integration mean rgarding lenses built for digital cameras and one built for 35mm?

The only lenses that are truly built for digital cameras are the Canon EF-S lenses. Any other lens will work on a film camera, but alot of them aren't built to the same standards because the whole image circle is not being seen. Edge sharpness will probably suffer quite a bit when used on 35mm film, where as on an aps-c sized digital sensor, you won't even see alot of that.

If changing lenses is a problem, use two bodies. I think that's possibly what you are hinting at here anyway, since you have an Elan IIE as well.

Digital Matt said:
The only lenses that are truly built for digital cameras are the Canon EF-S lenses. Any other lens will work on a film camera, but alot of them aren't built to the same standards because the whole image circle is not being seen. Edge sharpness will probably suffer quite a bit when used on 35mm film, where as on an aps-c sized digital sensor, you won't even see alot of that.

If changing lenses is a problem, use two bodies. I think that's possibly what you are hinting at here anyway, since you have an Elan IIE as well.

I use my Elan II as a backup. I really want to stay away from film for the most part except in emergencies. I'll just have to get another 20D ;)

Scott WRG Editor said:
And all you Digiographers, how much does Digital Integration mean rgarding lenses built for digital cameras and one built for 35mm?

Tamron claims that thier Di lenses can be used for digital and film. I would suspect that vigenetting may be a problem with these lenses when used on a film camera. I believe Nikon and Canon recommend only using the DX and EF-S lenses on digital cameras. They were designed for the smaller sensor and project a smaller image which would show up as vigenetting on film.

K

EF-S lenses only work on cameras with EF-S mounts, of which their are two, and both are digital. Digital Rebel (300D) and 20D, and the upcoming Digital Rebel XT (350D) will also have that mount.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back