Tamron: NEW 85/1.8 VC and 90/2.8 VC Macro + Dock

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tamron has just announced two new upcoming lenses, each styled like their recent new 35mm f/1.8 VC and 45mm f/1.8 VC models, which were the first two lenses in their newest series of lenses.

Blog - Tamron

The new models are an 85mm f/1.8 with VC, or Vibration Control, and an ultrasonic drive USD focusing motor system, and a new 90mm f/2.8 macro, also with VS and USD focusing system.
The world’s first*1 85mm F/1.8 lens with VC for full-frame DSLR cameras - Tamron

The expected new buzzwords are abundant, like fluorine coatings, superior bokeh, LD and XLD specialty glass element design to reduce chromatic aberration, and special emphasis on reducing coma to render point lights as point lights, BBAR or broad band anti-reflection coating, plus eBAND coatings (the nano-tech type of anti-reflection Nikon invented, and which Canon later copied, and Tamron is now integrating), and lens-mount area weather seal, so on and so on. These are sleek,modern, very understated lens designs, IMHO. They look sexy, for sure. These lenses remind me of somewhat of the new Zeiss-for-Sony lenses.

PR release says that these lenses will be, "Supplied with SILKYPIX Developer Studio 4.0, advanced editing software that features correction menus for various aberrations (lateral color, distortion, relative illumination) based on the optical design data of this specific lens. In addition, lens profile information has been supplied to Adobe Systems, Inc. to facilitate selecting the precise lens data required for more sophisticated adjustments in RAW processing when using Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom"

The Nikon versions offer the new E, or electromagnetically actuated diaphragm system, and both lenses offer Full Time Manual focusing override without switching the AF-MF switch.

Tamron ALSO announced its new TAP-in console device, sort of similar to the Sigma "dock".
TAMRON TAP-in ConsoleTM - Tamron

All four of the prime lenses available or announced so far in this new series are both full-frame and APS-C capable . This series omits the VC or Vibration Control feature in the Sony-mount lens variants, since Sony cameras offer in-body image stabilization.

The new TAP-in dock-type device, called a Console by Tamron, seems to have the bells and whistles one might expect. Multiple user-adjustable parameters can be set, such as firmware updates,focus fine tuning over three different ranges, focus limiter range adjustments, manual focus override adjustments,etc, plus" VC adjustment (only for any lenses with VC),Users can choose the VC (Vibration Compensation) mode they prefer from the selection below for any TAP-in Console compatible Tamron lens equipped with the VC system.
  • Prioritize viewfinder image stabilization
    This mode places priority on the stability of the viewfinder image
  • Standard (Factory Default)
    This mode is the same as the factory default, and strikes a balance between the stability of the viewfinder image and vibration compensation effects
  • Prioritize stabilization of captured images
    This mode ensures stable vibration compensation effects"

Last edited:
Saw this annowncement, the VC is interesting but if the price will be higher then the Nikon then I wouldnt worry about it, working with an 85mm lens for me means portrait which means control light so the VC isnt so important.
If the 45mm lens was as cheap as the Nikon 50mm 1.8G I would grab it but it cost 3 times more so its not interesting either to a man with limited means like me.

They're definitely shaking up the market with some really nice products!

And sigma officially announce the 50-100 f1.8 @ 1099 dollars

I began my "serious" photography efforts with two different primes on 35mm B&W film in the 1970's. First, a Zeiss 45mm f/2.8 Pantar lens on a Contaflex, and then right after that a 58mm f/2 prime lens, paired with a 135mm f/3.5 prime. For me, the 45mm lens length is a really nice lens length. For the past three years, I've been using the Nikon 45mm f/2.8 P-Nikkor for landscapes, and indoor or environmental portrait shots where I want exactly what that lens length can give. So to me, the 45mm f/1.8 with VC and USD drive and full-time override potential sounds pretty good.

There was no price announced with the 85mm f/1.8 VC lens...maybe they are waiting for internet buzz to set a price point--so, everybody, make sure to down-rate this upcoming lens and talk poorly of it! (joking...sort of...)

Nikon has its all-new series of f/1.8 Plastic Fantastic lenses...I suppose Tamron is trying to go the extra mile, and must compete on lens aperture, as well as offer VC, and also USD drive....etc,etc..

The nice thing is that Tamron has favored a slightly "cool" color rendering in their lenses, which goes great with Nikkors. And the other thing is having the option of an all-new, unified lens "set", all from the same manufacturer, and all with the same basic family nature. Prime lenses are getting more popular now. Zeiss is aiming at the $4000-$1699 market. Sigma has the new ART series, and Sigma aimed at lenses that Nikon and Canon really did not have until recently, meaning really high-performance $699-$799 fast primes like an AFFORDABLE 35mm f/1.4 Sigma ART. Canon's 85/1.2-L and Nikon's 85/1.4-G are very expensive and this $1499-$1699 range is a hard,hard sell for one,single lens when TWO at half the cost each sounds better for prime lens shooters who know that they need 3, or 4 lenses, or even 5; there's a segment of people who want an in-lens stabilizer for video, or for hand-held work, for shooting on boats, in the wind, when out of breath from hiking or walking, and so on and so on. Vibration Control, VR, IS...that's a big selling point for people who want every possible advantage. There's a lot of sales opportunity in the $699-$799 high-performance, polycarbonate-like prime category.

What I expect next is a DIRECT shot across the bow of the good ship H.M.S. Nikkor and the good ship H.M.S Cannonia L. Redstripe: 20mm f/1.8 and 24mm f/1.8 Tamron VC USD primes.

They're definitely shaking up the market with some really nice products!

I'm a big fan of the Tamron lenses myself, I have both a 17-50 mm F 2.8 and the 70-300 mm 4.5-5.6 VC, both have been fantastic lenses thus far. Strangely enough I actually prefer the Tamron 70-300 mm to the Nikkor 70-300 mm VR I used to own. The Nikkor was a fantastic lens but I actually prefer the way the Tamron renders.

neither of these really interest me much, but I am very happy to see Tamron continuing to step things up. With Sigma and Tamron putting out some very good glass (the Tammy 15-30 I just got is SO sharp), it's an exciting time to be a photographer. A 20 or 24mm 1.4 or 1.8 would be nice to see from them. Both the Sigma ART 20 and 24 were a little disappointing for us night photographers, and would've sold very well, but both suffer from some pretty bad coma wide open. If Rokinon can put out a sharp 24 1.4 with almost no coma, I know Tamron or Sigma could

Well as I mentioned to the guy on this forum selling his Nikon 105mm macro lens, I am in the market for a macro lens.

I am a sucker for shiny and new, so depending on the price, maybe I will give the 90mm Tamron a chance.

Sounds very interesting and very promising. Will have to look at them once they are available.

And sigma officially announce the 50-100 f1.8 @ 1099 dollars
Yeah I read that but its a DX lens so I am not too excited, FX will be something to cheer but it would be MASSIVE!

Most reactions

Back