Tamron, Sigma or Canon?

VeronicaLFB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a Canon Rebel XTi and have been looking at some lenses this evening...Just wanted to get some opinions on which lens I should get, especially if there are some users on here who have one of the lenses I'm looking at.

Tamron 70-300mm 1:2 F/4-5.6 DI LD
vs
Sigma 70-300mm APO DG
vs
Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6

TIA!

What sort of budget are you allocating and image quality standard are you after? I briefly used the EF 75-300 and it takes pictures. Resolution wise, its kinda soft at max aperature and does need to stop down a bit before IQ improves. At f/8-11 you do have to increase ISO to get a usable shutterspeed. As long as there is plenty of light you should be okay. A tripod is best since w/o image satabilization, your pulse and breathing will throw off the lens at 300mm.

Well, all three of those lenses are relatively in the same price range, and I'm willing to pay the price.
I'm leaning towards the Tamron. I have a tripod since I've also got a Sigma 180mm macro lens!

I haveTamrons 28-300mm XR Di f/3.5-6.1. It is soft till you hit f/8 and up. But it is a great little walking around lense, I use it all the time. Also there is a new model of that lense coming out very soon with image stablization. It is designated as Dii if I remember right or, you can go to http://www.tamron.com/lenses/default.asp and, poke around there to find it.

For the most part, the easiest way to tell the 'quality' of a lens...is the price. You get what you pay for.
Along with that...for the most part, Canon (or Nikon) brand lenses will usually be a bit more pricey than Sigma and Tamron.

For the most part, the easiest way to tell the 'quality' of a lens...is the price. You get what you pay for.
Along with that...for the most part, Canon (or Nikon) brand lenses will usually be a bit more pricey than Sigma and Tamron.

I've heard that, and since most of the lenses were in the same price range, I wanted to get opinions from some of you who may have experience with a particular lens. I might just save up my money and get the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 instead :D ... I do want to get a kit lens replacement, though.

Veronica, what type of photography do you think you'd be doing with a lens like this? It'd help as far as recommendations go. If you're willing to save a little more enough to get that Sigma, another option would be the Canon EF 70-300 IS USM which I think is cheaper than the Sigma. Neither are better than the other, but one might be a little more appropriate depending on what you'd like to photograph with it.

Just thought id mention if your willing to save like you said and not doing a lot of low light you might want to look at the canon 70-200 f4 L. Great lens and if you get the non IS version only around $500. Just thought id mention it. If it was me out of the three you first mentioned id say the canon. but thats purely brand preference not any expierience :).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back