Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Will this lens fit on my tripod?
Tamron SP150-600mm G2 - Lens weight approx 2kg

Tamron_150-600mm_G2_Lens.png

This is my tripod

Neewer Tripod.jpg

If not can I adapt it, I have only had the tripod/monopod a few weeks?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
the tripod mount on the G2 will screw right onto your tripod.

Will a Gimball head fit on the tripod?

Will a Gimball head fit on the tripod?

Only if the tripod has a removable head.

But you’re going to be FAR exceeding the weight limit of that tripod. You generally only want to use half of the recommended weight limit on a tripod.

Putting an expensive camera setup on a gimbal on top of a cheap/weak tripod is just begging for disaster.

@Destin

I was told it was a good sturdy tripod, it seems it to me, but I take what you are saying.

That said I hadn't ordered the 2kg lens then!

I have just checked the tripod ordered it is...

Neewer 70inch/177cm Aluminium Alloy Tripod/Monopod for DSLR cameras with 3 way swivel pan head - Suitable for loads up to 8.8lbs/4kg (It is quite heavy, I didn't go for a lightweight one)

At 70" high it has a wider leg span and with camera bag on centre hook for stability should be OK, I think, it is only just over half the recommended weight. The other reason I went for 70" is because I can look through view finder without bending, I am limited how long I stand up and cannot bend so the height was another important factor.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
My Tamron 150-600mm lens has arrived today, Wow.

Having now felt the weight of the new lens my question is, would I be better to remove the existing mount from my existing tripod and replace with a 360 degree tripod ball head or a Gimball? The tripod is suitable for weights up to 8.8lbs (4kg). The 360 degree ballhead seems lower and lighter, I am therefore thinking it would be suitable and still gives me the flexibility of movement. That said I welcome your comments guys.

My Tamron 150-600mm lens has arrived today, Wow.

Having now felt the weight of the new lens my question is, would I be better to remove the existing mount from my existing tripod and replace with a 360 degree tripod ball head or a Gimball? The tripod is suitable for weights up to 8.8lbs (4kg). The 360 degree ballhead seems lower and lighter, I am therefore thinking it would be suitable and still gives me the flexibility of movement. That said I welcome your comments guys.

You’re welcome to try that tripod with it man, but most people using a tripod and gimball opt for a tripod that holds 20-50 pounds.

When you’re swinging the lens around quick on a gimbal you want an extremely stable base.

There is also no standard universal way to rate weight capacity. Manufacturers of cheaper tripods often inflate their claims. I don’t want to offend you by any means, but I don’t trust that tripod to hold that lens. And it certainly won’t hold it stable in one position for any kind of long exposure.

@Destin

I am not offended, I welcome all comments. It is just a shame I got the tripod I did, having been told it was a really stable one, it does appear stable but I understand what you are saying. For me being disabled and restricted there is no way I can swing the camera round, most of what I will photograph will be on the ground or starting to take off or move. I literally cannot stand long at all, I can only hobble short distances, so I know I will never get shots like you guys, I also know many birds will have flown by the time I get sorted, I am just an amateur wanting to get into and enjoy the hobby best I can, in places I can get to. For me it will probably be nature reserves, beaches (from a promenade), landscapes (other lens), that sort of thing. I cannot afford another tripod yet so have to make do and be careful. Everything I have has been purchased brand new in less than one month. I will be using a remote button for most shots, certainly any with the larger lens or at any distance as I cannot stand and hold the camera without some body movement.

PJcam,

I'm no tripod, or any camera equipment, expert of any kind. But I do know something of mechanical systems and physics. (Ex-ham radio operator that used to design his own antenna arrays. Ex-sailboat owner that used to tune his own boat's rigging.)

It's not just the weight of the camera + lens + whatever, and its not just the force that's in column to the center axis of the tripod. There will be lateral forces, moment arm forces, etc.

These forces may be of particular import to you, given your constraints, as it seems fairly likely to me you may occasionally, if inadvertently, steady or brace yourself against your equipment?

Would be a shame for tripod, equipment and you to take a spill :(

This is all something of a consideration for me, too. My balance never was all that great to begin with. Now, with somewhat advanced years, it's worse than ever. And, despite working out with weight training and cardio on a fairly regular basis, my legs just don't have the strength they once did.

@Cortian

Many thanks for your comments, they are really appreciated.

The idea situation would be a new tripod, but with what I have spent in 4 weeks, her indoors is breathing down my neck 'You spent how much'. We all been there I guess. I know it will only be time before I go for a new tripod, but have to adapt a little for now, the risk is solely mine, but I am just trying to get my head round an adaption with minimum risk. At the most it would be getting out of my power chair, focusing on some bird or animal or similar, composing and shooting then sitting down again. It will be try it and see, to be honest there is little point buying another tripod, a more expensive but more suitable one, if I find getting up and down even the short times to much. I will start with tripod in front of my power chair initially and seek out hides, keep thinks simple and work out what I can and can't do. My wife will be there to help me though she won't touch the Tamron lens.

So let me word things a little differently, does the 360 degree tripod ball head just screw into the centre section of the tripod having removed the existing camera mount?

Thanks for your comments and your concern.

So let me word things a little differently, does the 360 degree tripod ball head just screw into the centre section of the tripod having removed the existing camera mount?

Thanks for your comments and your concern.

Yes. If you can remove the pan head, there should be a 1/4" or 3/8" stud that you can attach another type head. But, not sure it's going to help. That tripod just isn't heavy enough. Had a similar one, and it wouldn't even keep the 75-300 stable. Luckily it was free. Not an ounce of guilt when I threw it in the trash. I'm going to PM you.

That tripod just isn't heavy enough. Had a similar one, and it wouldn't even keep the 75-300 stable. Luckily it was free. Not an ounce of guilt when I threw it in the trash.
I'd be embarrassed to show y'all the Velbon tripod I have :barbershop_quartet_member:

It might, providing both the "legs" and the "head" have the same size thread. Typically, the center stud on the legs will be a 3/8"-15 threaded stud, and most heads also have that thread as a threaded hole in the bottom of the head.

If not that particular size, then probably 1/4"-20. The bugaboo will be that one unit has one size thread, and the other unit will have the other size. Then you have to get a thread adapter, usually from a tripod manufacturer, because I haven't ever seen one at my local hardware store.

Now to the real point: I would not put that lens/camera on a ball head. Just don't do it. You've got a perfectly serviceable pan/tilt head already, so why make everything harder for yourself? A gimbal would be a much better idea than a ball head for that heavy combo.

Now another point: There is a big difference between static, balanced load and an off-balance dynamic load, as when pivoting/swinging a heavy load that isn't quite on perfect balance. That's when trouble will find you.

I would probably use that tripod and head for that camera/lens combo without any qualms, but I also wouldn't expect it to be perfectly rock-solid at all times either.

I'd be embarrassed to show y'all the Velbon tripod I have :barbershop_quartet_member:
My Velbon is my middle-weight tripod. Light enough to carry short distances, but not the one I use for portraiture in a studio-like situation. (in the house) There, I don't carry around my heavy legs, more than once to get them set up, then they go back into the closet when I'm done. I also have a light-weight tripod for casual use when walking about. Way too light and flimsy for precision work, but better than nothing when I don't have anything else with me.

Most reactions

Back