Tamron SP AF28-75mm F2.8 XRDi IF Macro

TangoTracer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found a (?new/used?) in box Tamron SP AF28-75mm F2.8 XRDi IF Macro at a pawn shop locally here for $400 if I remember correctly

I'm interested in learning my camera (canon T5) and getting the most out of my $$$ as I will be on a tight budget forever, this is my 2nd expensive hobby after fly fishing unfortunately

My question: how does this lens add up if I will only be getting very few in the near future? Right now I'm working with the kit lens and a nifty-fifty on order... Will this be a good all-around lens for portraits, parties, and macro? The reviews are all good but I want to hear some more opinions and get a better grip of the price bracket for this lens new and used

Thanks! :)

I have the older Tamron 28075 f/2.8 (non VR) and 17-50 f/2.8 (also non VR) and 70-200 f/2.8 (also, also non VR) for Nikon and love them. I paid $200 for my 28-75 many years ago...$400 for the non VC version seems a bit high to be honest.

for Canon, i see them on ebay for way under $400. you should be looking around the $300 mark used. IF it is brand new in box, $400 is not a bad price. I typically get lenses used though. easy enough to find them in great shape for a lot less than new.

The price was a kicker for me too, really was hoping to see the price tag right around $200 and I would've snatched it right then based on the reviews

I'm not sure I can trust the owner whether or not he says it is really NEW in any case... Hmm

Last edited:
The lens is a good imager as long as focus is spot on. $400 is too much. Got one from adorama a long time ago for $200 or $225

It's a great lens. Very sharp. I wouldn't pat over 350.00 for a used one. Anything under 300.00 is a steel.

How does it do for a regular walk-around lens? Or is it strictly for macro usage?

Again, $400 is wayyyyyy too much money for that lens! The guy's hoping for a sucker to come along and drop four bills on something he probably gave a distressed seller $50 for. The non-VC version has a reputation of actually being a faster-focuser than the VC version, and is regarded highly, but I would not patronize a pawn shop that's trying to charge full, new retail on a 10 year old lens. Not to mention, 28-75mm is a weird focal length range when multiplied by 1.6 when used on a Canon crop-sensor body.

Most reactions

Back