tamron vs sigma 70-200 m f2.8

samithphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.samithphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have the Tamron ld di sp macro and the sigma ex apo dg, both are 70-200mm f2.8 and I looking to keep just 1 one them. Ive done some research and still undecided. Which lens is better for portrait/wedding photography? If you could, please list the pros and cons. I would like your input from those with experience in both. Thanks,

Since you have both of them, which one do you use more?

I just got them for a great deal within the week and i briefly tested them today. I cant really tell the difference in sharpness that much. Heres what i got so far sigma build quality feels better, the focus ring is smoother, quicker AF. the tamron is slightly sharper, its a little longer but weigh less, can shoot and focus at closer range and the pinch cap fits better(not that its a deal breaker). I just wanted to see if I was missing anything that others have had experience with.

I've seen and used both at various times but have never owned either. I feel the Sigma is better and the reviews between the two favor the Sigma as well.

What about the Tamron's frequently-alleged tendency toward sloooooooooooooooooow focusing? I have read a number of reviews of the Tammy, and every single one of them mentions focusing speed as being a major drawback; I have also read a couple other reviews where focusing accuracy/reliability were questioned pretty strongly...

I know Sigma has made multiple variants of their 70-200/2.8...not sure if the EX APO DG model you have is their latest model or the model from one generation back...

You apparently have both lenses there; is one on-approval or something? Why are you asking "us", if I might be sold bold as to ask?

Tamron's focusing is ungodly slow and noisy.

I am jealous that you have both. What is the $ difference and do let us know your decision and reasons. I am waiting to get one.

What about the Tamron's frequently-alleged tendency toward sloooooooooooooooooow focusing? I have read a number of reviews of the Tammy, and every single one of them mentions focusing speed as being a major drawback; I have also read a couple other reviews where focusing accuracy/reliability were questioned pretty strongly...

I know Sigma has made multiple variants of their 70-200/2.8...not sure if the EX APO DG model you have is their latest model or the model from one generation back...

You apparently have both lenses there; is one on-approval or something? Why are you asking "us", if I might be sold bold as to ask?

I bought the tamron on ebay and i like it. its not as slow as some make it out to be, especially since im not shooting sports. I just aquired the sigma from a someone who had no idea what they had and got it for REALLY cheap. I couldnt pass up the deal. I figured I could make some profit on it if i didnt like it more than the tamron. and before i made my decision on which to get rid of, i figured i would ask first from people who have used both.

I am jealous that you have both. What is the $ difference and do let us know your decision and reasons. I am waiting to get one.

I bought the tamron for 575-ish and found the sigma at a local pawn shop for 300. my mouth dropped when i saw it for soooo cheap. It is in mint condition (not a single blemish) and they are selling on ebay for 800 currently. I decided to go with the tamron bc it is sharper, can shoot at closer range, and a bit lighter. Since im not shooting sports and mainly doing portrait/wedding stuff it doesnt bother me that it is slower (really not by much). if i was rich i would buy the nikon but thats a whole other story.

I have used both tamron and sigma.You will feel the difference in sharpness at f8 and beyond.
The sigma version in my opinion is sharpen than tamron.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back