Tarantula

DivadWaldoss

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Here are some tarantula shots i took about a month ago. They've been scaled from full size for the web. Let me know what you think!
Thanks
1)
$Side.jpg

2)
$Legs-Detail.jpg

3)
$Close-Up-DOF.jpg

I like the first one, but for 2 and 3, too much is out of focus. This is always a problem with "close-ups" - getting enough of it in focus. If you can try these again, I would suggest you try and get the eyes in focus as this almost always makes for a decent image, even if other parts are a bit OOF.

WesternGuy

Shot with a 55mm @ F5.6? I am assuming you don't have a Macro lens! ;)

Most macro is shot at very small apertures to increase DOF... Non-macro lenses traditionally have much deeper DOF since they won't focus as close. Even so.. you needed more DOF on these shots. If you had shot at F16... it would have improved them greatly!

You may find this useful for figuring out DOF for future images : Online Depth of Field Calculator

[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/attachments/nature-wildlife/22850d1350270152-tarantula-side.jpg
File type: JPEG
File size: 377.3 KB
Creation date: 9/16/2012 02:12
Last modification: 10/15/2012 07:28
Make: Canon (Canon Global)
Camera: Canon EOS REBEL T3i
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows
Dimension: 1024 x 683 px (0.7 MP, 3:2)
Focal length: 55 mm
Aperture: F5.6
Exposure time: 1/125"
ISO speed rating: 400/27°
Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Yeah, I agree with both of you. Right now I still only have my kit lens. This was a wild tarantula, so the only way i'll be able to try it again is if I stumble upon another one, but I think their migration period in Arkansas is over, so it's unlikely. Maybe next year...

Most reactions

Back