Target store moves to Canada

skieur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Target bought out Zellers in Canada, replacing them with Target stores. They are now planning openings.

The test openings did not go so well.

No opening specials or sale prices which customers expected.
Not enough cashiers to handle opening business.
Poorly stocked with merchandise.
Poorly tagged goods: price was small and the same colour as the tag background.

As a result there has been a delay in future openings.

You could say Target missed the mark?

I have to question why they bothered to buy out Zellers. Zellers had been dieing a slow death since Wal-mart came to Canada. Pretty much the same type of store, but they just couldn't compete with the massive giant that is Walmart.

I'm not sure what Target is planing on doing differently...that they hope to compete with Walmart. In a lot of places, a good location will make it successful, but here in Edmonton, where urban sprawl is out of control...people will just drive to whatever store they want anyway.

They were more interested in the locations and the Zeller's buildings than anything else, since they did not even absorb Zeller's staff. Experts have pointed out that marketting in Canada is different than in the States and not all companies can make the adjustment.
In my area the nearest "city" has a pop of 20,000 and my village has 150. Target has delayed its opening until May, and Wallmart is building a Smart Centre with a big box store to be ready probably by Christmas. Good for taxes, since mine have actually gone down, since my battle with the tax people. Raise for everyone else is 2.1% which is still quite good. For most areas further removed, it is 6%.

There would seem to be a lot of competition for a somewhat small market share given population in this area.

They were more interested in the locations and the Zeller's buildings than anything else, since they did not even absorb Zeller's staff. Experts have pointed out that marketting in Canada is different than in the States and not all companies can make the adjustment.
In my area the nearest "city" has a pop of 20,000 and my village has 150. Target has delayed its opening until May, and Wallmart is building a Smart Centre with a big box store to be ready probably by Christmas. Good for taxes, since mine have actually gone down, since my battle with the tax people. Raise for everyone else is 2.1% which is still quite good. For most areas further removed, it is 6%.

There would seem to be a lot of competition for a somewhat small market share given population in this area.

I've probably spent more time in Canada than most Americans, and I've probably seen more of Canada than most Canadians. Whereabouts are you located?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back