Teaching a newbie to fly fish

It seems like I have more and more reasons to explain my husband how TPF is a great place to be a part of... ;)

Your avatar could be a shot of my wife many years ago.

let me see her now, let me see her now... She's pretty right? ;)

Strawberries make her smile. :wink:

$P1200008.jpg

Nice write-up and some lovely trout! LDR, yes, long distance release which actually entails playing the fish for a bit. I've fished a lot over the years, and a good LDR can actually be rewarding, especially if it's from a really prized fish like a winter steelhead on the fly, or a massive brown or any cutthroat over, oh, let's say 16 inches (where I live).

But there are other terms too: "On-n-Gone", which is like a take, then a headshake or two, and an immediate loss of the fish.

And also "drive-by", which is a take or strike, but which results in absolutely NO hookup.

Good definitions, Derrel. We call drive-bys when you had a really good day already, then you cut the hook 1/2 way down the bend. You still have to work for the hook-up, but after a second or two they're gone with minimal impact.

I enjoyed the thread. I took up the sport two years ago and it has quickly become one of the most fulfilling activities I pursue.

Thanks!!!

It is a fun sport for sure, I have been at it for about a decade and still enjoy every moment I'm on the water.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back