Teaching Photography Question

brian_f2.8

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I teach Photography, Videography and Adobe Apps at a high school. One problem I have encountered lately is when trying to teach the exposure triangle I am having a hard time because kids are bringing in point n shoot cameras. There are no manual controls at all. I am trying to teach aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Try that with a class and one Nikon DSLR.

Anyone know of point n shoot cameras that have these features? Im thinking of asking for a few micro 4/3 but not sure of the overall quality. Id assume that you can adjust aperture, exposure and ISO but again I have never played with one.

Almost all of the decent Bridge cameras have the basic features... although they are not always easy to use! I used to take a Canon S5 hiking a lot, and it did pretty well. Don't know anything about the micro 4/3's... so can't help you there!

From what I've seen, most point-and-shoot cameras that have a manual mode are expensive.

One that I'm familiar with that is now a reasonable price is the Panasonic ZS5 / ZS7. [ http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/9 ] Apparently they can be had for <$100 used. [ Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 2.7-Inch LCD (Black): Camera & Photo ] My parents have one of these and as a point-and-shoot it does pretty well.

But then . . . have you considered getting used dSLRs?

You can pick up a used Canon 300d for less than $200. (A local camera store here in Toronto was selling these for $99 used with a 90-day warranty just before Christmas.) A Canon 350d wouldn't be that much more. Add a 28-80mm lens for $50-75 and that's a good set-up to learn on.

And you can take the lens off to show your students the aperture. And trigger the camera with the lens off to show the shutter and stuff.

Just a thought . . .

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My suggestion is that if you have a local camera shop that rents cameras, call and see if you can get a discount for a class rental. We have a shop here locally that you can rent cameras and lenses by the day, week or month. I would get prices on how many cameras you need to rent and encourage your students to make the small rental investment or send a note home to the parents.

The m4/3 format is great IMO. I got tired of hauling are the heavy artillery and eventually settled on the Oly PEN EP3. Full controls, interchangeable lens system, perfectly acceptable IQ. I can stuff it in a jacket pocket. I haven't printed any images yet, but the digi files are impressive for such a small camera.

Get two Kennedy half dollars, four Washington quarter-dollars, and ten Roosevelt dimes.

The 50 cent, 25-cent, and 10-cent coins represent "f/2", "f/4", and "f/10".

Most kids can make the connection using these coins. This is a system I have used before. It makes "sense". Show them how two "BIG" coins make up one DOLLAR; and how four "fourths" also equal one dollar, and how ten "tenths" also adds up to one dollar.

They are bringing in P&S? hmmm... I was expecting them to whip out their cell phones/iphones/smartphones and say that that's what they use. Not too many control there, I suspect.

Have you considered using something like this? CameraSim simulates a digital SLR camera - SLR Photography Demystified or Aperture, shutter and ISO value | SLR Camera Simulator

You'll find a bunch if you google "camera simulator".

Give me your address so I can mail you a check - THANK YOU VERY MUCH

My suggestion is that if you have a local camera shop that rents cameras, call and see if you can get a discount for a class rental. We have a shop here locally that you can rent cameras and lenses by the day, week or month. I would get prices on how many cameras you need to rent and encourage your students to make the small rental investment or send a note home to the parents.

I completely agree, I am going to look into older Nikons like the D40. I can't buy anything on ebay or craigslist so Ill do some shopping n see what I come up with.

Get two Kennedy half dollars, four Washington quarter-dollars, and ten Roosevelt dimes.

The 50 cent, 25-cent, and 10-cent coins represent "f/2", "f/4", and "f/10".

Most kids can make the connection using these coins. This is a system I have used before. It makes "sense". Show them how two "BIG" coins make up one DOLLAR; and how four "fourths" also equal one dollar, and how ten "tenths" also adds up to one dollar.

I understand what you are saying but the cliental is going to have a hard time.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP

pgriz said:
They are bringing in P&S? hmmm... I was expecting them to whip out their cell phones/iphones/smartphones and say that that's what they use. Not too many control there, I suspect.

Have you considered using something like this? CameraSim simulates a digital SLR camera - SLR Photography Demystified or Aperture, shutter and ISO value | SLR Camera Simulator

You'll find a bunch if you google "camera simulator".

Thanks this going to help me as well before venture out with my toys :)

Give me your address so I can mail you a check - THANK YOU VERY MUCH

You're welcome. Just play it forward. You know how Karma works.;)

That is cool little utility, thanks for that pgriz. (although, it seems to think that the only good exposure is at zero).

Going back to the OP's initial issue...yes, there is a disconnect between trying to teach the basics of exposure and the type of camera that most people have these days. The photography school that I teach with, has broken it up into separate classes. Our most basic course is 'Taking Better Pictures', which does touch on shutter speed & aperture but doesn't require an SLR as it focuses more on basic techniques & composition etc.
The next course is 'Using your DSLR', which fully covers the exposure triangle & metering, along with most of the functions found on a DSLR.

So we're basically pre-qualifying that the students will have an SLR by calling the class 'Using your DSLR.

I teach Photography, Videography and Adobe Apps at a high school. One problem I have encountered lately is when trying to teach the exposure triangle I am having a hard time because kids are bringing in point n shoot cameras. There are no manual controls at all. I am trying to teach aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Try that with a class and one Nikon DSLR.

Anyone know of point n shoot cameras that have these features? Im thinking of asking for a few micro 4/3 but not sure of the overall quality. Id assume that you can adjust aperture, exposure and ISO but again I have never played with one.

When I was in high school, grad 98, you had to buy a manual focus film camera to use for photography class. NO EXCEPTIONS! This is a good way to go. Plus you can get old slr cameras online for almost nothing, probably $60 or less with a prime lens. IMO you cannot learn to be a photographer on a p&s.

Most reactions

Back