What's new

Tech Support

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
10,417
Reaction score
9
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
All phone line are open
478-temp-8x10-tech-r0255.jpg


-
 
I really like the photo as a whole, but the one thing you refer to, the phone line, is also the most distracting thing in the photograph. I know you can't do anyhting about the location but I htink if you cloned it out, and changed the title/description of the photo to being based around abandonment, they eye will be drawn more towards the bautifully colored building, mountains, and cloud rather than draw the eye up in a dull blue void with what looks to be a somewhat blurry phone wire.

aslo, something is gonig on on the right where the mountains meet the sky that looks a bit conspicuous or screams "edited" but that could just be random happenstance.

I really LOVE the building, mountains, and that one ominous cloud.

Of course everyhting I have said is an opinion and it even goes against what you are trying to convey a bit, so don't take it to personally. Really nice interesting photo overall.
 
^^^^^agreed. The shot is very nice, but taking the phone lines out would do wonders for the composition, and overall appeal of the image.
 
Taking OUT the phone line seems absolutely ridiculous. The line is the entire point of the image...that little shack has a light or power pole and a floodlight...made possible because of the line, not despite the line. The line,and the pole are integral: what is distracting and out of place is the man in the lower right hand corner of the shot...now HE could be cloned out,and it would improve things.
 
Taking OUT the phone line seems absolutely ridiculous. The line is the entire point of the image...that little shack has a light or power pole and a floodlight...made possible because of the line, not despite the line. The line,and the pole are integral: what is distracting and out of place is the man in the lower right hand corner of the shot...now HE could be cloned out,and it would improve things.

I did say that I understand that removing the phone line goes against the image's original purpose, but it is pretty hard to argue that it doesn't take the eye up into the dullest corner of the frame. Maybe replacing the sky with a busier one would help but the vast blue thing just doesn't work for me. But it is personal taste. I actually feel bad having not even noticed the man in the lower corner, but I will blame the distracting phone line for that one. I agree he should be reoved as well. We can agree to disagree about the phone line, as I DO fully understand it is the reason for the shot's meaning. I was just suggesting taking the photo in another direction entirely due to content, particularly along the middle and right side of the frame that works well for me.
 
Just having some fun. Thanks for commenting.

My friend Joel will be deeply hurt.
 
Poor Joel..what's he doing down there in the lower right hand corner??? Is he lookin' for a place to...set down his can of soda pop?

Removing the wire would, for me, remove the ironic element of a tiny little building like that being served by electricity/phone lines, surrounded by the rugged landscape...the idea that the corner is the "dullest corner of the frame" strikes me as neither here nor there...that corner is important precisely because that is where the line enters the photo...it has to enter somewhere... if we wanted to re-purpose the shot, we might as well think about cloning out the power pole and wire and street light entirely..and of course, get rid of Joel...and then clone in new stucco for the walls, and drop in a beautiful green lawn...BAMMO! The real estate ad would say: "Remote southwest cottage for sale by owner $60,000 OBO!"

I don't get the idea of abandonment so much as the irony of a utility company bringing in a line and a pole to such a small, remote-looking shack...I get the sense of former importance, dignity, and the Far West from the shot...slightly different from abandonment....more of a feeling of graceful decline...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom