Teleconverter vs. Extension Tube

Heather Koch

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did google this but not quite sure what I was reading, so I know you guys here are great at explaining things :p

ALSO, since I can't afford a 'real' telephoto zoom lens, I am getting the Tamron 70-300mm. My question after the above is answered, which do I get and what do I get?

I have found several 2x converters but they range from $20-$300. AND are they all universal (Nikon)?

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
Two different animals; extension tubes are simply empty tubes (no optics) designed to allow closer focusing, they're a substitute for a macro lens. Tele-converters on the other hand are designed to "increase magnification", so putting a 2x TC on your 70-300 will give you a 140-600, BUT.... it will also resduce your maximum aperture, so if yours is a f4-5.6 lens, it will become an f8-f11 lens, meaning that at the long end, it will be dark enough AF probably won't work. SInce TCs have optical elements, like any lens, cost (generally) equals quality and a $20 TC is probably not going to be useful even as a paperweight, whereas the latest Nikkor 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0x TCs are very, very good.

Non-Nikon branded TCs in Nikon mount (Tamron, Kenko, etc) will fit any Nikon lens, but Nikon-branded TCs will only fit certain (higher-end) Nikon glass such as the 70-200 f2.8, tele-primes and up basically their 'gold ring' line.

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginationimagesofiowa.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Putting even a 1.4x TC on the Tamron will make it an f/5.6-8 lens. F/5.6 is at the edge of the ability of most entry-level Nikon bodies to autofocus, and at the long end of the lens' focal length f/8 will most likely fail to autofocus at all.

Going to a 2x TC you'll have to manually focus at all focal lengths, most likely.

OP
Heather Koch

Heather Koch

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thank you very much! That helps a lot.

I'm merely looking for something decently priced to get nice moon/star shots. That is all I'd use the converter for.

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit

I'm merely looking for something decently priced to get nice moon/star shots. That is all I'd use the converter for.
Then spend the money on a good, rock-solid tripod. Unless you're using a top-of-the-range TC on a top-of-the-range lens, you're going to lose enough IQ to make it pointless. If however, you have a tripod that will hold up the proverbial shick brithouse, then you will be able to crop in a bit and still have much sharper images.

OP
Heather Koch

Heather Koch

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

Then spend the money on a good, rock-solid tripod. Unless you're using a top-of-the-range TC on a top-of-the-range lens, you're going to lose enough IQ to make it pointless. If however, you have a tripod that will hold up the proverbial shick brithouse, then you will be able to crop in a bit and still have much sharper images.
I have a decent tripod, I mean not the most expensive one out there, but its good.

Solarflare

Reaction score
Haha, the moon is surprisingly small.

I think to actually fill the frame you would need something like an 2k or 3k focal length ?

OP
Heather Koch

Heather Koch

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Don't want to fill the frame lol that would take thousands of dollars. Just want something large enough to crop.

Most reactions