Telephoto Lens Recommendations

AndrewCanon6D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,
I have had a Canon 6D for several years. For Christmas, I received the 7D Mark ii. I am so excited to use it for sports and wildlife... But I will need a good telephoto lens for those purposes as well.

The ones that I have been looking at are:
Canon 70-200 f2.8 ii
Canon 100-400 is ii
Sigma 120-300 f2.8
Sigma 150-600 sport

Here's my dilemma- the 70-200 or 120-300 options would be good for indoor spots or things such as weddings, but wouldn't have as much reach for outdoor sports or wildlife. The 400 or 600 would have much better reach but I don't think would be fast enough for indoors/weddings.

Even though I have loved Sigma's new line of lenses and have two of their prime art lenses, I think I am leaning towards Canon here. The Sigmas are so heavy.

I'm pretty sure the answer will be which lens depends on what I am shooting more (indoor/weddings vs sports/wildlife/birds) but I am hoping to do both kinds of photography and can't afford both lenses. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Oh I hate you, that camera body combo is exactly what I want. o_O
How about the 120-300 and a 1.4 teleconverter?

That's what I'd get.
Canon's 400 5.6 prime is rather light, btw.

Honestly its a bit of a hard thing to cover both areas with a single lens.

Sports indoors is going to need f2.8 at the smallest which is going to limit your choices already. Most indoors areas are very poorly lit for photography whilst having more than ample lighting for the sport; at the same time flash is not always allowed, practical or possible at every venue.

Personally I've found the 70-200mm f2.8 shines in such an environment; it covers a good range of focal lengths and has lightning fast AF and very sharp results. It's the lens I'd choose for spots/indoor. IT can also decently take 2*Teleconverter to get up to 400mm - not perfect, but produces more than useable results.

The 120-300mm f2.8 is a good lens, but its not as fast to focus (no slouch just not as fast) plus its a lot heavier which can be a problem if you're not tripod/monopod mounted for the day. The 120mm end (I'm on a 1.6 crop body so your fullframe might not find it as limiting plus it depends on the venue) I find a little long indoors; although I admit I've shot in fairly close areas; if you're much further back you might find it more ideal. Really depends on the nature of the area you shoot in. It can take 2*TC though is a bit more fussy but produces usable results.

Going long the 100-400mm MII is getting some fantastic reviews; although the 400mm f5.6 is a very popular prime for the affordable wildlife photographer.

I think you need to pick one and get a really good lens for that and then save up for the other (I'd go spots then wildlife). If you can save a nice budget a 300mm f2.8 prime (The MII is the newest and most expensive but best) is an ideal option - it would also do well as a duel lens setup for indoor work - a 70-200mm on one and the 300mm on the other for larger areas where both can cover the range. The 300mm primes can also take up to 2*TC very well.

I am dubious about the "one lens that will do everything" idea. What is your bread and butter? Which is more important, wildlife or weddings? You could use a Rolls Royce to take an actress to the Academy Awards banquet but a four-wheeler Jeep will get you through the swamp. You can't have both.

I just figured out that you DON'T own the 70-200 already, which I assumed you do.
I take back my 120-300 + 1.4x recommendation and suggest the 70-200 first.

WHATEVER you shoot, 70-200 should be in your bag AND THEN I'd add one of the
other lenses you listed. I'm very happy with my 70-200 2.8 Sigma so you might be able
to save some $$ and get 2 lenses at the same time.

desertrattm2r12 said:
You could use a Rolls Royce to take an actress to the Academy Awards banquet but a four-wheeler Jeep will get you through the swamp. You can't have both.

THIS^^^^^^^^^ x 100!
Gotta make a choice. My vote goes for the 70-200/2.8 Mark II as the most-useful, most easily-carried, best all-around general use lens.

The Sigma 120-300 is too large and heavy for most people for general use of any kind....this is a LARGE lens that demands a monopod for almost all users. It's NOT small, it is not inconspicuous. It would be a decent sports lens choice for field-level uses.

The 100-400 Canon is a much longer lens: I would give it the nod over the others for a few uses: fishing from boats in good weather, windsurfing, surfing, wildlife, tourist uses at scenic areas. This lens is not super-huge, and in good light, it is the choice; the maximum f/stop is not that wide, so...again, in good light, where you want reach and IS, this would be the best lens. So, at the seashore, at the lake, in the spring,summer,and fall, this is the best long-range lens for easy use.

The Sigma Sport 150-600 would be a good choice for long-rasnge work in good, bright light. The 150mm bottom end makes it impractical for "general" use, but for strictly longer-distances in decent light, this lens would be better than the Canon in terms of the 150-600mm range.

Just for comparison here's a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 MII next to a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8
IMG_0598.jpg

In person the size difference is greater and the weight difference is big - as Derrel says the 120-300mm is not a light lens. I've happily used the 70-200mm handheld all day without issues; something I could not do with the 120-300mm

I am dubious about the "one lens that will do everything" idea. What is your bread and butter? Which is more important, wildlife or weddings? You could use a Rolls Royce to take an actress to the Academy Awards banquet but a four-wheeler Jeep will get you through the swamp. You can't have both.

You never know, when someone out there want that combo so bad then ... .......

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/reader-rides/readers-rides-spotlight-custom-rolls-royce-4x4/8005275+w700+cr1+re0+ar1/readers-rides-spotlight-custom-rolls-royce-4x4.jpg

That's like buying a 50mm F/1.2 and punching on the 2x teleconverter on it, then cropping to 1:1 rather then buying a tele lens. :D

If your wanting it for sports and wild life then the Canon 100-400 is ii is a great lens with the 7dm2. But if your trying to do wild life and weddings then its a no brainer the Canon 70-200 f2.8 ii

Wedding without a 2.8 lens on that body is not something I'd like to try.
Get the 70-200. :)

Thanks everyone!

I completely understand that there isn't a "one lens for everything" out there. That wasn't my question. And, like others have said, I think the Sigmas are too big and heavy, so I'm looking at the Canons.

My main question was which to go with first. I do a lot more outdoors and travel photography right now than indoors or weddings, which is why I was thinking maybe the 100-400 mark ii. But it sounds like the 70-200 would be a better option to get first? I could get a 1.4 or 2X converter for extra range for now. And then in the future, if I am able to save up more, I could get another one with more range. The 100-400, or maybe the 400 f5.6 (non-IS) or a different prime to go with the 70-200?

Thanks everyone!

I completely understand that there isn't a "one lens for everything" out there. That wasn't my question. And, like others have said, I think the Sigmas are too big and heavy, so I'm looking at the Canons.

My main question was which to go with first. I do a lot more outdoors and travel photography right now than indoors or weddings, which is why I was thinking maybe the 100-400 mark ii. But it sounds like the 70-200 would be a better option to get first? I could get a 1.4 or 2X converter for extra range for now. And then in the future, if I am able to save up more, I could get another one with more range. The 100-400, or maybe the 400 f5.6 (non-IS) or a different prime to go with the 70-200?

unless you're shooting wildlife the 70-200 2.8 is probably more useful especially for weddings and indoor concerts

The Canon 100-400 is the most versatile especially on your 6D. WE have both a Canon 100-400 and a Sigma 150-600 S. Our cameras are a 6D, and a 7D. We shoot a lot of wildlife and birds. Both do a superb job. However i would suggest that you try to budget in a Canon 24-105 L to use with whichever long lens you decide upon. It is a proven reliable workhorse. Despite what the net 'photographers' might tell you a Canon 2X doubler makes wildlife shooting much nicer! ALWAYS keep in mind the longer the focal length the faster the shutter has to be to keep out the 'shakes' 1 over the focal length is almost mandatory minimum when you get out to 600_mm.

As for the low light problems you 6D is EXCELLENT in low light. Set your camera to Manual mode, the ISO to Auto and ick your F-stop and shutter speeds. That 6D is a GOOD camera.

Below is a link to some of our albums and you can look at what these combos can do. realizing of course that both she and I are rank amateurs.

The Canon 100-400 is the most versatile especially on your 6D. WE have both a Canon 100-400 and a Sigma 150-600 S. Our cameras are a 6D, and a 7D. We shoot a lot of wildlife and birds. Both do a superb job. However i would suggest that you try to budget in a Canon 24-105 L to use with whichever long lens you decide upon. It is a proven reliable workhorse. Despite what the net 'photographers' might tell you a Canon 2X doubler makes wildlife shooting much nicer! ALWAYS keep in mind the longer the focal length the faster the shutter has to be to keep out the 'shakes' 1 over the focal length is almost mandatory minimum when you get out to 600_mm.

As for the low light problems you 6D is EXCELLENT in low light. Set your camera to Manual mode, the ISO to Auto and ick your F-stop and shutter speeds. That 6D is a GOOD camera.

Below is a link to some of our albums and you can look at what these combos can do. realizing of course that both she and I are rank amateurs.

if wildlife shooting is a priority then the 100-400 or a Sigma 150-600 is useful
for sure weddings and wildlife require different lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back