Telephoto Lens Value

Johnnyhex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a couple of telephoto lenses and want to sell them but don't know how to determine their value. What makes one kind of lens expensive and others not beyond the obvious like the name brand?
IMG_20200808_123315907.jpg

Build and performance. Some lenses are built better and perform better than others - the number and grouping of elements, coatings on the glass, materials used, amount of distortion, etc.

Try poking around KEH and the used departments at Adorama and B&H for the same model.

The lens you show looks a lot like one I used to have in the mid-1980s. the lens I used to have was a Vivitar 200 mm f / 3.5. I can tell by looking at it that that lens is a not very rare or expensive model. It is a manual focusing lens from the 1980s or 1990s and I would estimate that its value is no more than $30.

Look at the front of the lens and copy the brand name and focal length/maximum aperture. Then go check to see if any are available on Ebay. It there are any, that is your guidance.

eBay check sold listings, which is an accurate guideline people are actually willing to pay. I have seen items listed at ridiculous buy it now prices which is how you get your $200 value on lens like yours, when in reality actual auctions are being concluded at MUCH LOWER prices.

Usually -but not always, lower f-stop value means the lens is more valuable. It is harder to craft glass wider than f2.8 and once a company chooses to do so, they make sure the glass is sharp as well. Again, this is usually the case but not always. There are f4.0 lenses that go well over $1000.

Look at the front of the lens and copy the brand name and focal length/maximum aperture. Then go check to see if any are available on Ebay. It there are any, that is your guidance.
The lenses condition is another factor to include in the equation. Some lenses contain threads of fungus which damages the glass, scratches, interior dirt, seized apertures & stiff focus/zoom are all factors that will reduce the value of a lens considerably. Many photographers will not even consider a lens that has any of these issues.
With more unusual lenses it can be worth getting a lens professionally serviced, but this will cost hundreds of dollars so isn't economic for run of the mill lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back