Telephoto zoom lens. What to get?

Joshua_Lee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

Some of you may have read my earlier post about my recent purchase of the tamron 28-75. Now that I have this lens I am selling my kit 18-105. The question is which telephoto zoom do I get to cover the range? I have been looking at the Nikon AF VR 70-300mm, Tamron 70-300mm, Sigma etc.. What are your thoughts on these or any others that you have experience with? Doesn't necessarily have to be these, could be a 200mm lens. Your thoughts please!

Oh I will be using it mainly for outdoor stuff and some events. I would like to stay in the $400 to 500 range or lower if possible. I wish I could afford the 70-200mm lenses but I can't. :(

Thanks,

Your very first post second entry lists the Tamron 28-75mm as being owned by you. So I have no clue what you mean by "Some of you may have read my earlier post about my recent purchase of the tamron 28-75"

I also have no clue why anyone would ever want to sell a Nikon 18-105 and keep a Tamron 28-75mm instead. Especially when you have a Nikon D90

No matter which lens you end up getting, get a decent tripod(plus remote trigger).

BTW, my 70~300 is yesterday's technology. VR is important for telephoto. It's, however, a good entry-level telephoto lens and affordable too. I bought it $300 brand new back then.
If it's a lens that you are investing in, get a good one. I myself don't think about trading lens. So if you can, get the F2.8 70~200mm. Otherwise, the VR 70~300 is a good one if you spend the extra money on a decent tripod like I mentioned.

No matter which lens you end up getting, get a decent tripod(plus remote trigger).

BTW, my 70~300 is yesterday's technology. VR is important for telephoto. It's, however, a good entry-level telephoto lens and affordable too. I bought it $300 brand new back then.
If it's a lens that you are investing in, get a good one. I myself don't think about trading lens. So if you can, get the F2.8 70~200mm. Otherwise, the VR 70~300 is a good one if you spend the extra money on a decent tripod like I mentioned.

^^^ Ditto. Keep both lenses and add a third Tele.

RjL

You may also take a look at the new Tamron 70-300mm VC USD lens.

Nikonians lens review
Nikonians News & Blogs: Interviews, Talkshows, News and More

If you buy it this year (only few days left), there is a $50 rebate ($100 if buy it with a camera kit). I read a lot of reviews about that lens and it really great. I am really think about selling my Canon 70-300mm IS lens (pretty sure) as well as my 70-200mm f/4L (most likely) and keep the Tamron after I finish comparing them.

Your very first post second entry lists the Tamron 28-75mm as being owned by you. So I have no clue what you mean by "Some of you may have read my earlier post about my recent purchase of the tamron 28-75"

I also have no clue why anyone would ever want to sell a Nikon 18-105 and keep a Tamron 28-75mm instead. Especially when you have a Nikon D90

Well I put it in my signature because I do own it now. As for the EARLIER post comment, I was more so speaking to the ones who gave me advice on the Tamron 28-75 post. It was just a reference because I know how detailed I need to be on this forum to get my point across. It was not meant to cause you confusion. For that I am sorry.

I got the 28-75 because it is a sharper/better overall IQ lens than the 18-105, and has low light capability.

Thanks everyone for the advice on the lenses! Maybe I will try and save up to get the better lens.

You can get a used sigma 70-200 2.8 for $500-550. Just watch ebay for a while, they are out there all the time.

I got mine new for $799 and I love it. Would I like to have the Nikon version? Well DUH! But the budget was $800. And it's the best money I've spent on camera gear yet.

Most reactions

Back