butterflygirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photosbymcdonald.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all! Hope you're doing well!

I am currently getting my studio together and wanted some opinions.

I'll be working out of my basement - and I have already purchased a light system from Alien Bees - now I need just about everything else but a camera, lens', and computer.

I basically wondered what you thought the best backgrounds would be to start off with, props, as well as what kind of computer programs that will be used to show clients their photos, as well as possibly set up slideshows, manage money, client information, etc.

I already have PhotoShop so that's not a prob - the photog's I work as an assistant for use StudioPro - any opinions on that?

Thanks!

Do you have a flash meter? While it's not a necessary as it would be when using film...it's still a great tool to have with you when shooting with strobes.

I ordered a Dynatran background support system from Amvona, it's pretty good and the price was good. The stands do take up a bit of floor space though, so if you plan to keep everything in the basement, you might want a wall mount system or even a curtain track type system. I'm still using cotton sheets because I can't decide what Muslin I want to get...but muslin seems to be the #1 choice. If you are not going to be portable, heavy canvas might be a good option as well.

Just about any image software can do a simple slide show of images. If you want to make a great cd/dvd slide show...then you may need to look around. I've heard good things about ProShow Gold.

Hey Mike! Thanks!

What light meter would you recommend? I do have that on my list of things to buy but I'm not exactly sure which ones are good or not. Could you tell me the finer points of light meters?

thanks! :)

The Sekonic L-358 is a great all around light meter :) (Sorry, can't get much more specific then that!)

Thanks! I also saw on B & H that they have Sekonic L-758 and L558 etc. what's the difference? Is there really a need to spend $200 more? :)

Sekonic does a pretty good break down of each (not familiar with teh 558 however) let me look into it. It might be just the ability to adjust settings. Also, if you are using wireless, you will want to look into purchasing the radio trasnmitter for the extra $50

Your background set up will be an important decision. Snoots and soffboxes will be esential. Buy lots of foamcore and light stands. Theses will come in handy for shaping your light as opposed to blasting it all over.

Love & Playa

Most reactions

New Topics

Back