terrorist activity

Osmer_Toby said:
danalec99 said:
An intellegent and a sane terrorist group would normally not strike during a heightened security phase especially with the election around.

The musicians still baffles me! I have no clue why they would act in such a way. May be it was just a prank :). Does anyone know about that writer?

ya, she saw quite a bit of air time last night on cnn. aaron brown interviewed her live, and she came off as extremely credible. all of the points in her article were corroborated(sp?) by cnn...

They should either be wearing the orange jumpsuits or merely laughing at the prank :)

So the question is... Do I think these men were musicians? I'll let you decide. But I wonder, if 19 terrorists can learn to fly airplanes into buildings, couldn't 14 terrorists learn to play instruments?

Wow! That's a scary story. However, it is not that easy to learn a musical instrument in a short period of time. Perhaps the terrorists have recruited musicians to serve their purposes. In any case, it is scary.

Thanks danalec!

We hear of the "increase" in terrorist activity that may lead to a strike on an unknown/undetermined target at an unknown/undetermined time. When something doesn't happen there is always the question of wether or not the threat was overexaggerated. Seldom, if ever, do we hear the question of what was done to prevent a strike or even if a strike was prevented. The answer to that may tip our hand and make those steps of prevention known to the terrorists. As we have seen in the world of computers the name of the game is move, countermove - just consider viruses, anti-virus software and patches, etc. From the point of the authories it will always be a damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Having spent several years in Europe during the 80's I can say that the general rule of thumb is "when you least expect it...". I think that something will happen by the November elections. I can think of a dozen scenarios and can look at the "Scary Story" as practice runs. After all, according to the story no one stopped these guys until after they landed. If they had meant to do harm on that flight waiting to land may have been too late. And apparantly the writer was scared enough to say that if terror was the desired result it was achieved. You don't have to kill or maim to achieve terror in your victims.

As to sane terrorists - I don't think sanity even comes into the picture. 9/11 proved that.

Sometimes my kids think I'm paranoid. I look both ways before crossing the street. I stop at stop signs and red lights, don't run the yellow (at least most of the time) and I constantly try to stay aware of my surroundings. I lock the car when I go to K-Mart and if I see something suspicious when I get I home I drive around the block once or twice.

I think the only thing any of us can do is stay alert to what's going on around us. Just ask a woman who has had her purse snatched or some guy who left the keys in his new truck if an ounce of prevention would have been worthwhile.

If something does happen we'll all ask if the cops and intel people did enough. A lot of people will think the authorities were lax. They won't ask how many bad things were prevented.

Over the years I met a lot of people who have "their rights". Many seemed to believe it was their right to be looked after by the rest of society. And many of these people couldn't spell responsibility let alone pronounce it.

I for one will continue to try and stay alert to what's going on around me. It may just keep me from losing my wallet, or my shopping cart full of goodies, or ....

Osmer_Toby said:
i was thinking more of the visceral, the here and now, what's everyone feeling? do you feel way deep down that something big/bad is going to happen soon? or do you feel safe and secure that nothing is imminent? or do you have no gut feeling about it one way or the other?

I'm not worried about the threats. Hope the "over-fed / billions a year" intelligence agencies are sturdy enough to thwart any bad attempts. That is IF there is an attempt.

Over the years I met a lot of people who have "their rights". Many seemed to believe it was their right to be looked after by the rest of society.

I think that's a very good point...I never really thought about that.

Watch out i heard that Al Quida was targeting McDonalds stores to furhter demoralize our population. Somthing about adding all sorts of nasty stuff to the food to make us all fat, lazy and docile. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back