Test Driving my New DSLR - Day 2 (Pic Heavy - Kitties inside ;) )

Raj_55555

Indian God of Photography
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rajarshiphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It was about time I posted a few taken with my new best friend.. As I'm just starting to get familiar with the system (not as fast as I'd like to), I'd appreciate any pointers that anyone has or any mistakes you spot in my images. I am still a DSLR noob by all means, so go easy one me :)

And sorry to lure some of you guys for the kittehs, but it was robbins who inspired me with his awesome Amur leopards. I could manage only two of them though. :p

#1. Amur leopard (I swear! :lol: )

14340630340_bc62540f61_h.jpg

#2. Amur Leopard 2 *Dude seriously? I'll just look away!*

14340658060_00f2795c12_h.jpg

#3. Unknown Parakeet Species - I was too lazy to research :p

14547444913_b6f13d18cc_h.jpg

#4. Saras Crane

14504208096_e5f7d23914_h.jpg

#5. Black And White & Yet in Colour

14340587100_b5fdd3d188_h.jpg

#6. Ele - The - Phant

14340552040_dcc6930892_h.jpg

Really nice captures Raj, what kind of post-processing do you do?

I think 1 and 2 have their tint a liiiiittle too far on the purple side, whereas it's the opposite for 5 and 6. Most (except 4) seem a tad underexposed to me. As for 4, I don't know if you can being the bright green grass in the bg down a little? Do you mind if I try editing them a little?

Really nice captures Raj, what kind of post-processing do you do?

I think 1 and 2 have their tint a liiiiittle too far on the purple side, whereas it's the opposite for 5 and 6. Most (except 4) seem a tad underexposed to me. As for 4, I don't know if you can being the bright green grass in the bg down a little? Do you mind if I try editing them a little?
Thanks for the pointers Auger, please do try editing them. I'd love to see what you've in mind! I used LR for all of them. :)

First three are very good, but the last three seem to have a green color cast to them.

Great shots Raj. I love the elephant.

OK, here goes! Some of these changes will seem pretty subtle, you might have to look at them side-by-side to see what I've done. Playing with the tint slider brings your overall tone towards green (negative) or purple (positive). I find that you never really need to move the slider too far as it can drastically screw up the colour, but it can sometimes bring back a more "natural" colour to a photo.

1: Pretty basic... Tint -9, Highlights +20

2: Tint -7, Highlights +27

3: Exposure +0.3, Tint +10

4: A little more tweaks here as I tried to subdue the bright background without affecting the subject too much. Contrast +15, Highlights -55, Shadows +19, Tone Curve Highlights -31, TC Lights -25:

5: Tint +20, Exposure +0.60, Contrast +15

6: Exposure +0.35, Tint + 14

As always, LR modifications on Jpegs are only approximations of what you can get with RAW, so your mileage may vary. I imagine the more experienced people on the forum might have something else to add, so please take this with a grain of salt!:wink:

Again, really nice captures! It's always fun when at a zoo to get some cool shots!

Raj, you need to be more careful my friend. That leopard looks like a real killer. You can always spot the maneaters... its in the eyes. Lol

Great set Raj

Yes. Great set, particularly the closer image of the crane. And any set with an elephant. So two great sets.

Looks like you are having fun!. I like the parakeet!
Yes I am, thanks Kris :D
First three are very good, but the last three seem to have a green color cast to them.
Yes, I am having a difficult time with the white balance.. I need to set the white balance properly, I read how to do it in the manual, will do it before I venture out next time. Thanks Designer:)
Great shots Raj. I love the elephant.
Thanks barb, so do I :)
Raj, you need to be more careful my friend. That leopard looks like a real killer. You can always spot the maneaters... its in the eyes. Lol

Great set Raj
You said it, my leopard can beat yours any day :p :lmao:

Yes. Great set, particularly the closer image of the crane. And any set with an elephant. So two great sets.
Thanks Brian :D

OK, here goes! Some of these changes will seem pretty subtle, you might have to look at them side-by-side to see what I've done. Playing with the tint slider brings your overall tone towards green (negative) or purple (positive). I find that you never really need to move the slider too far as it can drastically screw up the colour, but it can sometimes bring back a more "natural" colour to a photo.
Thank you so much for taking the time to edit all of them auger, I really do appreciate it. As I said I was having a little trouble with the WB, I'll have to do something about it. In the meanwhile, thanks for posting the changes you've made too. I'll try them out in LR and compare them to see the difference.. :)

Again, really nice captures! It's always fun when at a zoo to get some cool shots!
Yes it is, specially for those of us who love wildlife photography but don't have any scope for it. Thanks Auger.. :)

Looks like you're enjoying your new camera!

Just noticed that the first pic appears grainy. You can see it in the legs and on the nose. did you, perhaps, crank up the sharpness? try using some noise-reduction in LR.

Looks like you're enjoying your new camera!

Just noticed that the first pic appears grainy. You can see it in the legs and on the nose. did you, perhaps, crank up the sharpness? try using some noise-reduction in LR.

Yes I am, very much so :mrgreen:.. Not sure why it's grainy though, the ISO was at 640, but the D100 seems to handle noise pretty well. Heaven and hell difference from my sx50 TBH. I hardly ever sharpen my pictures in PP (not necessarily a good thing), NR sounds good to me too :)
Well my leopard is bigger but your's is obviously a stone cold killer - so ya, I'd put my money on yours too.. lol
:lmao: :lmao:

Nice shots Raj but the parakeet is my Favorite.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back