Testing my new tripod - C&C welcome

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was out testing my new tripod, and wanted to focus on exposures of rivers. (duh) Anyway, too long shutter? Too blurry? Personally, I like the compositions, but you, as my peers, will have to decide :)

f/22
ISO-100
2 seconds

IMG_1279 edit by Bokehliciousness-ness, on Flickr

f/22
ISO-100
4 seconds

IMG_1277 by Bokehliciousness-ness, on Flickr

f/22
ISO-100
13 seconds

IMG_1293 edit by Bokehliciousness-ness, on Flickr

I realise I've blown the water, but it didn't appear as white if I didn't.

Thanks for watching and commenting.

Personally I would make it shorter. Maybe 1/2 second? I prefer using larger aperture. I think f/22 is too small and you will start seeing softness on your photo (cant really see it here because small photo). It is probably best not to use aperture smaller than F/8. You may need an ND filter or shoot when darker a bit.

I see. Will f/11 give me a acceptable DOF?

And composition wise, that's my main concern, which didn't come out very good in the OP...

I think #2 is your strongest image out of these 3. Everything looks sharp (except the water of course)... But I do agree, I think I'd go with a slightly faster shutter speed... This probably would have even looked okay at 1 second instead of 2 :)

Only one way to find out!

#2 is my favorite, but the crop seems a little tight. Exposure for the rocks & forest is good. The water maybe a little soft, maybe not. All depends on the look you were going for.

This is where HDR processing can come in as a good tool. With the three or more exposures different shutter speeds the water will get that silky smooth look with the longer exposures, while the shorter exposures will give it more texture. Then tone map to you're liking. What I found out if you use more than 3, ghosting of the water can be a little excessive. The ghosting isnt bad if you have a constant flow like a river, but a shore where water moves up & down will give you some funny looking foggy rocks.

The wider the angle, the more DOF you get.

And composition wise, that's my main concern, which didn't come out very good in the OP...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back