Tethering Nikon to Mac troubles.

Peakapot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been trying to tether my Nikon D7200 to my Mac. My Mac is running the latest OS (Sierra).

Firstly I tried to use lightroom (5.7.1). When I plug my camera into my Mac with the provided cable I can go to import in lightroom and my camera can be seen. I can access the photos on my memory card in my camera no problem. However if I go to tether it shows as no camera detected.

Secondly I tried Sofortbild. This again did not work and from what I can make out it's due to the Nikon SDK changing. I then downloaded a beta version of this software but when I went to enter the activation code (that they sent me) I always got the error "incorrect code". This happened multiple times.

I then tried multiple softwares recommended in various threads to no avail.

Surely there is a free software to tether my Nikon out there that actually works.

Can anyone help me.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Sofortbild 1.3 requires Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6 up to Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.x). It is incompatible with Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.x and macOS Sierra 10.12.x. Newer camera models and macOS versions are supported in Sofortbild 1.5 and later.

Try running Boot Camp with digicamcontrol.

How to Install Boot Camp and Run Windows on Your Mac

Cheers, Don

Sofortbild 1.3 requires Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6 up to Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.x). It is incompatible with Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.x and macOS Sierra 10.12.x. Newer camera models and macOS versions are supported in Sofortbild 1.5 and later.

Try running Boot Camp with digicamcontrol.

How to Install Boot Camp and Run Windows on Your Mac

Cheers, Don
I will try bootcam tonight thank you.

So as it stands there are no free programs to tether Nikon to Mac on the new OS without running a virtual Windows machine on my mac?

That seems very odd to me.

looks like i'm going to have to pay for something you get for free with canon.

I don't own a Nikon to test, but that can't be right.

One semi-command problem is that so many devices now use USB cables as "charging" cables that there are now products that ship with "USB charging cables" that have ONLY the power-pins wired and no data pins. Your camera won't show up without a cable that wires those data pins. So you might want to make sure you are using the correct cable for your camera... not just a cable that fits.

I have noticed that Apple made some changes to how USB support works in Sierra (my "guess" is that this might be to do with them updating USB to support the new "USB C" standard.)

I do know of software that runs on Sierra and controls Nikon cameras -- my eclipse software being one of them. So I'm sure it "can" work ... it's just a matter of figuring out why the camera isn't working on your computer.

Check to see if the Mac can at least detect the presence of your camera.

Connect the camera via USB and power it on.

Go into the "Utilities" folder and launch the "System Information" utility.

In the left margin of the utility window, select the "USB" category.

On the right you should now see every USB device connected to the Mac (whether there's a driver or not it will show up. You should at least see basic fields such as the "Vendor ID", "Product ID", and "Manufacturer" fields.

Note that "System Information" utility only scans for hardware when it is launched (but you can do a CMD+R to force a refresh). So if the camera was not connected and powered on before you launched the utility then it won't show up without a refresh.

One semi-command problem is that so many devices now use USB cables as "charging" cables that there are now products that ship with "USB charging cables" that have ONLY the power-pins wired and no data pins. Your camera won't show up without a cable that wires those data pins. So you might want to make sure you are using the correct cable for your camera... not just a cable that fits.

I have noticed that Apple made some changes to how USB support works in Sierra (my "guess" is that this might be to do with them updating USB to support the new "USB C" standard.)

I do know of software that runs on Sierra and controls Nikon cameras -- my eclipse software being one of them. So I'm sure it "can" work ... it's just a matter of figuring out why the camera isn't working on your computer.

On the right you should now see every USB device connected to the Mac (whether there's a driver or not it will show up. You should at least see basic fields such as the "Vendor ID", "Product ID", and "Manufacturer" fields.

Note that "System Information" utility only scans for hardware when it is launched (but you can do a CMD+R to force a refresh). So if the camera was not connected and powered on before you launched the utility then it won't show up without a refresh.
Thank you for the very good response. I appreciate you taking your time.

I have added some photos to help.

I am sure the cable is correct as I can import photos from the camera. Lightroom also detects the camera at this point. As seen in photo 1.

1496770709102.jpeg

However if I then go to file, tether capture, start tether there is no camera detected. See photo 2.

1496770800976.jpeg

I have tried everything including multiple different settings on the camera.

Anyone else think of anything I might be doing wrong?

Again thank you for taking your time to help me out guys.

Also please see picture 3 mate.

1496771074734.jpeg

Thank you for your reply Gryphon.

The solutions the links fix are all to do with LR 6 and above. I am using 5.7.1.

Lightroom is up to date, my D7200 firmware is upto date.

Looks like I use multiple softwares 30 day free trials or I pay. :(

At this rate I'll be going back to my Canon.

Thank you for your reply Gryphon.

The solutions the links fix are all to do with LR 6 and above. I am using 5.7.1.

Lightroom is up to date, my D7200 firmware is upto date.

Looks like I use multiple softwares 30 day free trials or I pay. :(

At this rate I'll be going back to my Canon.

The link that lead to the first solution came from the same issue with Lightroom 5. Apparently they are having the same issue with LR 6 as well.

Most reactions

Back