Tetons Sunset

You crack me up. You post on a forum and ask for critique then take the critique personal. Really. The picture is not overexposed nor does it lack contrast, Causapscal. Have a look at the histogram. JCD you would have never survived one of my classes. I taught in an International program, named the Photography Teacher of the Year, USA two years running and had a 94.6 pass rate over a period of 17 years. All film and Alternative processes for the first 8 years before we moved into digital which still only accounted for 25% of their grade. I critiqued my students (said exactly what was wrong and directed them toward what was right) exactly the same way I critique everyone on here because the schedule to which we had to comply there was little time for niceties; I gave out the kudos in the grading folder. My students knew going in I wasn't a warm fuzzy kind of guy but they also knew that if they wanted to attend the better photography schools in the country, this was an avenue. They took it on the chin and they learned. Over the course of 17 years I placed over 270 students in schools like RISD, SCAD, Ringling, Art Center School, Haystack, UMass...yadda, yadda, yadda on full ride scholarships.

Do I know everything..not hardly, but rather than whine about a critique, harsh or sweet, I endeavor to move forward every day. You might want to give that some thought. But to alleviate any further anxiety from one future critiques, I shall make doubly sure not to ever critique you again. Learn from Causapscal as he seems to know what he's talking about. Just as an aside, with the exception of one really good filmmaking professor in college, I cannot say I liked many of them., I found most to be very harsh, and demeaning and at times quite full of themselves but I LEARNED something from every one of them.

If you are going to take critiques personally, then why post at all? Oh, and all that crap you hear about the best way to critique...I suggest you not do graduate work.

You didn't read a thing I said teacher... Good teachers are in tune to their students, I assume I am your student since your rambling on about it...

" The picture is not overexposed nor does it lack contrast" I said it was boring. But it does lack...

" Have a look at the histogram", I am trying to learn histograms but there you go again, bashing a newbie. I don't understand them and on top of that I thanked you for helping me. So a teacher bashes a student who asks for help....

You are one of these old timer bully's that degrade members with promise and the websites traffic. You think you are better than everyone on here and your pics prove you are not. Get off your high horse teacher. You also play games by posting crappy pics to see how people respond.

Snowy is not on here enough to see your motive, I am on here too much and your motives are crystal clear. You are better than everyone and God forbid someone has promise and they need help, you are going to crush their journey. You almost did mine but a long time member here told me you were a bitter teacher... She was right, I didn't know you were a teacher. Makes sense.

Yeah, your not warm and fuzzy but more back stabbing envious teacher that the system continually employs while destroying their confidence and settle down in another field. I assume you never placed a professional.

Good luck to you but you are not fair at all. Just full of anger, envy, resentment.

I would have aced your class, I would have given you exactly what you wanted. Think about that for a minute if you have the time.

Last edited:
You crack me up. You post on a forum and ask for critique then take the critique personal. Really. The picture is not overexposed nor does it lack contrast, Causapscal. Have a look at the histogram. JCD you would have never survived one of my classes. I taught in an International program, named the Photography Teacher of the Year, USA two years running and had a 94.6 pass rate over a period of 17 years. All film and Alternative processes for the first 8 years before we moved into digital which still only accounted for 25% of their grade. I critiqued my students (said exactly what was wrong and directed them toward what was right) exactly the same way I critique everyone on here because the schedule to which we had to comply there was little time for niceties; I gave out the kudos in the grading folder. My students knew going in I wasn't a warm fuzzy kind of guy but they also knew that if they wanted to attend the better photography schools in the country, this was an avenue. They took it on the chin and they learned. Over the course of 17 years I placed over 270 students in schools like RISD, SCAD, Ringling, Art Center School, Haystack, UMass...yadda, yadda, yadda on full ride scholarships.

Do I know everything..not hardly, but rather than whine about a critique, harsh or sweet, I endeavor to move forward every day. You might want to give that some thought. But to alleviate any further anxiety from one future critiques, I shall make doubly sure not to ever critique you again. Learn from Causapscal as he seems to know what he's talking about. Just as an aside, with the exception of one really good filmmaking professor in college, I cannot say I liked many of them., I found most to be very harsh, and demeaning and at times quite full of themselves but I LEARNED something from every one of them.

If you are going to take critiques personally, then why post at all? Oh, and all that crap you hear about the best way to critique...I suggest you not do graduate work.

You didn't read a thing I said teacher... Good teachers are in tune to their students, I assume I am your student since your rambling on about it...

" The picture is not overexposed nor does it lack contrast" I said it was boring. But it does lack...

" Have a look at the histogram", I am trying to learn histograms but there you go again, bashing a newbie. I don't understand them and on top of that I thanked you for helping me. So a teacher bashes a student who asks for help....

You are one of these old timer bully's that degrade members with promise and the websites traffic. You think you are better than everyone on here and your pics prove you are not. Get off your high horse teacher. You also play games by posting crappy pics to see how people respond.

Snowy is not on here enough to see your motive, I am on here too much and your motives are crystal clear. You are better than everyone and God forbid someone has promise and they need help, you are going to crush their journey. You almost did mine but a long time member here told me you were a bitter teacher... She was right, I didn't know you were a teacher. Makes sense.

Yeah, your not warm and fuzzy but more back stabbing envious teacher that the system continually employs while destroying their confidence and settle down in another field. I assume you never placed a professional.

Good luck to you but you are not fair at all. Just full of anger, envy, resentment.

I would have aced your class, I would have given you exactly what you wanted. Think about that for a minute if you have the time.
I don't see many framed histograms in galleries anymore.

It is a grand print...but it is one where I did clone out the ranch house and did some dehazing. I'm working on another image I took moments later where the sun finally dipped behind a more distant peak. We'll see.
Then why didn't you post the good version?

Because I finished it after I posted this one and got the feedback.

It's not haze, it's pure light washing across the face of the peaks.

Yes, that is haze. Trees give off moisture and some gases. Hence the 'Great Smokies' etc. I noticed you said you did not have de-haze on your version of LR. Do a search their is a FREE dehazer out there that is actually better than Adobe's. there is another one, but I forget what it's called.
A link to the one that works on LR6

A polarizer would have done a lot of good as well.

Last edited:
Played around with the 1st one. Nik SilverFX and LR/w prolost dehaze. I rather like this @ a 9x16 aspect.
upload_2016-10-29_5-28-2.jpeg

Well, beg to differ and I understand what it looks like to you, but it was not haze, it was pure light. It was the purest sense of light I think I've ever seen. It just didn't translate like I wanted it to. I don't use LR, either...not all things work even when I think they do or should. C'est la vie

A photograph of pure light doesn't work. The light needs to be reflecting off of surfaces and into the camera in order to take a photograph light in the air is just ugly, mostly.

Your opinion....and again, it is just possible you had to be there.

502 Bad Gateway.

I cant see page 3!

In only saying this to incite; kinda a joke, take with lots if salt:

If you can't do, teach!

Haha?

PS I dont overly care for the photo. Its ok I suppose but doesnt make me want to talk.

Your opinion....and again, it is just possible you had to be there.

There is no such thing as a photograph of pure light. Shine a flashlight in a smoke/dust free environment, and you won't see the beam. Turn on a smoke machine, and the beam reflects off of the light and becomes visible.

What you're seeing in the photo isn't "pure light." It's sunlight reflecting off of water vapor or other particulates in the air, also known more simply as.. you guessed it: Haze.

This isn't an opinion. It's an entry level scientific fact that most middle school students understand and could have explained.

Why do you ask for C&C if you're just going to tell everyone they're wrong and refuse to learn from it?

Well, I just guess it was what I saw and what I saw was sunlight..what you see is whatever you want to see...the edit was not suitable to what I saw. I cannot learn from that edit and I could have done the same but did not.

Most reactions

Back