What's new

Texas, Our Texas (Photo Chronicle, Lotsa Images)

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
5,014
Reaction score
1,968
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm taking a photography course at Texas Tech University for the intersession between the spring and summer semesters, so I've decided to create a thread to post a progression of images throughout the class. I've already been here for over a week so I already have quite a few images to share. :)

The class is more editorial than anything, because the professor is an editorial photographer, but we've kind of dabbled in all kinds of photography. I still lean more towards the fine arts side in terms of what I look for in an image, but I'm getting better at seeing the connection between subject, content, and story. I'm just not a very good story teller to be honest. It's hard for me to be coherent between images.

But even if someone is not great at story telling - this land still holds opportunities for all kinds of photographers. This class is a gift in the sense that many of the places we photograph are either owned by the state and protected (meaning you only get visitation after meeting certain requirements), or they are private land. We as a class are very fortunate.


Anyways; here are a few images:

1.


2.


3.


4.


5.


6.


7.


8.


9.


I'll be updating it probably everyday. I do have a lot of images that I want to post, but I don't want to photo dump them here all at once otherwise they'll just be overlooked. I'll also probably post them in themes, since it seems moe organized. I guess the theme for this one it rushing water.
 
Last edited:
lovely set of pictures, although none of them really say "texas" to me, i wish i had running water like that near me
 
lovely set of pictures, although none of them really say "texas" to me, i wish i had running water like that near me

Texas has been romanticized to the point that it has become a kind of stereotype in and of itself.

We're not trying to spur (zing!) on preconceptions of what Texas should look like. We're recording the reality of what it is.

The Texas that most people are familiar with is farther West, closer to El Paso and Arizona. The rest of the state is forest, hills, wet and humid, or flat and grassy.

It just frustrates me when someone photographs Texas, but it doesn't look like what pop culture makes Texas out to be so it's disregarded.
 
Last edited:
Very lovely set of photos, woudln't relate them to Texas at all though. :D
 
lovely set of pictures, although none of them really say "texas" to me, i wish i had running water like that near me

Texas has been romanticized to the point that it has become a kind of stereotype in and of itself.

We're not trying to spur (zing!) on preconceptions of what Texas should look like. We're recording the reality of what it is.

The Texas that most people are familiar with is farther West, closer to El Paso and Arizona. The rest of the state is forest, hills, wet and humid, or flat and grassy.

It just frustrates me when someone photographs Texas, but it doesn't look like what pop culture makes Texas out to be so it's disregarded.


It is sort of "saddled" with that image.........looking forward to seeing more of your state.
 
The story you are telling me, is Texas is like Anywhere, USA.
I think that's your point. Texas isn't just desert, cowboys, and oil wells. Right?
 
Correct. The location and size of Texas allow it to have environmental characteristics of other regions.


And now: flowers.

1.


2.


3.


4.


5.


6.


7.


8.
 
Texas possesses every major terrain category short of tropical jungle and article tundra. Beaches, forest, plain, hills, mountains, desert, all in Texas.

Texas defies stereotype. I love my state. :)

Nice set of rivers and flowers! Sounds like a fun class...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom