That's probably not good...

JMack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I just received via UPS a used Canon Rebel body. Open the packaging unwrap all the parts of the order and everything looks fine. Body is actually in better shape than I expected. Take off the front cover to mount the lens and three little pieces come tumbling out.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that's not supposed to happen?

if they were skittles, i'd say you're in good shape.

but if they are plastic and metal and look like they should be attached in there...hmmmm

Does the camera work?

Take some pics of the pieces that fell out if you can and post them.

I'm trying to find another camera to take a picture of them. There is a plastic piece that looks like it has the autofocus points on it. Then two metal pieces that obviously hold that plastic piece in place (I'd call one a spring clip, but I'm not sure if that means anything to anyone), where ever it should be.

Since they were inside the body, I'm assuming they are supposed to be attached somewhere.

Megapixel - I'm a little hesitant to try the camera without at least knowing what these pieces are.

Where did you get buy it from?

Purchased from Adorama, who are apparently closed for the evening.

You bought it brand new or used? If used what condition did it say it was? Either way that shouldn't have happened. Get some other pics up ASAP.
TJ

Megapixel - I'm a little hesitant to try the camera without at least knowing what these pieces are.

Pics of the pieces and maybe we can identify them. If you bought from Adorama then you should be ok if it's a damaged item. They are pretty good to deal with when it comes to things like that.

Yeah, those are the pieces. I'll take a look, if I'm not comfortable doing my self, I have a photog friend at work that I'll have look at it.

Yes, mirror looks fine, no scratches.

Any harm in taking a couple of shots without those pieces in to make sure that everything else seems ok?

Well that's a bummer, but like I said, Adorama will take care of you I'm sure if you just wanted them to fix it right.

After removing the pieces on my camera I took shots with them out of the camera.

In your case I would make sure nothing in the area is hanging down in from where the screen goes.

Taking a shot with out the screen will make it pretty much impossible for auto focus and manual will be a guess as well but it should be functional. You could set it to bulb and trigger the shutter without the lens to ensure it does not sound funny or look like the mirror actuation has issues.

Again not having the camera prior to this you'll only be looking for something blatantly obvious. But if you do see something then it would give you the sure vote to send the body back ASAP.

Thanks LokiZ. Took longer to read the instructions that it did to get everything back in place.

Now I just have to figure out how to use it.

An added note:

Depending on the placement of the focus screen it can effect the brightness and clarity of your AF points. This does not seem to affect the auto focuse as far as I could tell but it can make it harder for you to tell what points the camera used to focus the image.

Once you get it back together you can test each one by setting the camera to each point individually and monitoring brightness and clarity. Took me three tries to get mine to my liking.

Also careful with the plastic screen they are a pain if you get them dirty. Some people just buy a new one when that happens. Does not effect the captured image but can be annoying as heck.

Most reactions

Back