The Affair with Iris.....Group 2 C&C

farmerj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is the last of the iris shots for the year. They are pretty well done blooming.

someone mentioned wanting less DOF, so I gave it a shot with the 50mm f/1.8 at f/1.8.

Here is that result. (Full size 1024 image here.)
irisf1-8.jpg

This guy was floating around too. He wasn't too much of a "willing" model though.

bee_001.jpg

Last edited:
couple more I have been editing today.

This one is at f/4 instead of f/1.8
irisf4.jpg

bud_001.jpg

1. The Iris. I am not fond of the f/1.8 For me the f/4 is a little better but, I'm not really sure what you want my eyes to focus on. My eyes are drawn to the little stems with the pollen (not sure what you call them) but the top right one is missing and I can't complete the circle. I sometimes think that a flower with so many planes should be shown all in focus. On the positive side, the colors are beautiful. For me the exposure is great.

2. The Wild Rose. The colors are good, but too much greenery in the picture if you want me to focus on the flower. Since the rose is not perfect, my eye keeps wandering to the bud on the right.

3. The bee. Good capture. I've been following these guys around my trees and I know how hard it is to get them to sit still. I think the picture could be cropped some at the top, the bottom and the left side, so that the been and only the flower are in the shot. DOF and expsoure seem right to me.

part of my "cropping" is done with standard picture "frames"

In other words. How will it sit in a 4x5 frame, a 8X10 frame.

I print some of my pictures and hang them on the wall. Some for me, some for family.

I have found in most instances, that an 8X10 crop is about perfect for a standard monitor. 1024X860. And since mom asks me to take a lot of pictures of her flowers for desk top wallpapers on her computer....;)

In #2, I actually was hoping to make the "bud" on the right the main focus. Because it's not fully open, I didn't focus on it, but to the fully open flower next to it. I liked the color on the bud much better.

Thank you on the rest. Another person made a comment on the Iris II pictures that he would have liked to have seen it with less DOF. Todays was that experiment. He liked the f/4 better also, but I still prefer them at f/5.6 to f/9.

But then again. it really depends on the lens you use, and the length of it.
Online Depth of Field Calculator

I was using the 50mm f/1.8 today. The difference in DOF on this lens for f/1.8 vs f/4 is 0.04 feet. That is about 1/2 of an inch. Not a whole lot of changing there.

It's been kind of fun playing with the DOF calculator this week. It takes on a new interest to playing with the aperture and different lenses a person has.

Most reactions

Back