the "bean" in chicago for C&C

Aw3033

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to Chicago this past week and took a lot of pictures but I really like this one. C&C please.

DSC_0373.jpg

What is that? Ida stepped back and got all the building tops in if that was possible, but I like it, the color mite be off but cool find.

Definitely too much of a colour cast from the lights. A quick adjustment gave me this (hope you don't mind):
dsc0373m.jpg

For composition, the lighting bollards intrude a little. I think I would have moved a little right and closer, filling the frame with the bean and using the reflections to provide interest.

of course, it might have looked terrible, but I would have tried it :lol:

MrBarney's mild editing helps the photo along a good deal, but unfortunately it fails in my estimation since you didn't move the camera up far enough to include the tops of the buildings and excluding the whole unnecessary amount of pavement and light bollards (thanks for the word, MrBarney, I wouldn't have known off hand what those things are called! ;)). In short: composition could have been better.

Another hint for night photography: don't go wide open (here you chose f3.5 and only a 1 second exposure) when you take photos at night, but choose a smaller aperture (f11 or so), and (automatically) a longer shutter speed (you need a tripod, anyway!), and the light sources you'll get will show sharper, maybe a bit starlike, better defined, and all in all your night photo will look clearer.

What is that?

From Wiki-Cloud Gate, a public sculpture by Indian-born British artist Anish Kapoor, is the centerpiece of the AT&T Plaza in Millennium Park within the Loop community area of Chicago, Illinois, United States. The sculpture and AT&T Plaza are located on top of Park Grill, between the Chase Promenade and McCormick Tribune Plaza & Ice Rink. Constructed between 2004 and 2006, the sculpture is nicknamed "The Bean" because of its bean-like shape. Made up of 168 stainless steel plates welded together, its highly polished exterior has no visible seams. It is 33 feet by 66 feet by 42 feet (10 m × 20 m × 13 m), and weighs 110 short tons (100 t; 98 long tons).

Last edited:
One of the most over-photographed pieces in Chicago! Everyone has a camera in Millennium Park.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back