The beauty of HDR time-lapse

Majeed Badizadegan

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recent thread reminded me of the inspiring beauty of HDR time-lapse. It's a lot of work, but the results seem so worth it.

Nice mix of landscapes and night scenes. This one is the most professional of the bunch:

[video=vimeo;29950141]http://vimeo.com/29950141[/video]

After some digging, I finally found this one. It's probably one of my favorites.. Amazing results with the 60d, self-made robotic arm, and superb shots:

[video=vimeo;32238183]http://vimeo.com/32238183[/video]

Interesting shots around the world as well as in the U.S:

[video=vimeo;10655199]http://vimeo.com/10655199[/video]

Last edited:
Wow those first two are sooooo coooool!!! Amazing. Who needs 3Dtv when this is 3d in its own way! I am lost for words!!

Nice links. Thanks for sharing.

I really like the night sequences in the first link. Quite breathtaking.

Does one batch process all exposures to get consistent results?

wicked videos, btw!

Last edited:
What I've never understood is how the do the panning (eg side panning) while still shooting and it still looks so smooth? Were they just wider shots originally and got some software automatic panning happening?

maybeshewill said:
What I've never understood is how the do the panning (eg side panning) while still shooting and it still looks so smooth? Were they just wider shots originally and got some software automatic panning happening?

Actually its usually a robotic arm custom fashioned with the camera mounted. The arm is programmed to pan very slowly.

To answer someone else's inquiry about processing, to my knowledge, it is definitely batch processing to get consistent results.

maybeshewill said:

Actually its usually a robotic arm custom fashioned with the camera mounted. The arm is programmed to pan very slowly.

To answer someone else's inquiry about processing, to my knowledge, it is definitely batch processing to get consistent results.

Seriously? People carry robotic arms out to these locations to shoot? I'd imagine this kind of machinery would be heavy. Surely other methods must be used?

maybeshewill said:
Seriously? People carry robotic arms out to these locations to shoot? I'd imagine this kind of machinery would be heavy. Surely other methods must be used?

I'm sure it is assembled and disassembled on site. A lot of these rigs are custom designed. I would venture to guess these setups aren't excessively heavy since they only need to support the weight of a camera.

maybeshewill said:

I'm sure it is assembled and disassembled on site. A lot of these rigs are custom designed. I would venture to guess these setups aren't excessively heavy since they only need to support the weight of a camera.

OmniSlider | DitoGear.comhas a mode specifically for time lapse

From This Article which explains the process.

maybeshewill said:

OmniSlider | DitoGear.comhas a mode specifically for time lapse

From This Article which explains the process.

Ouch @ 2.5k for just the arm..

Besides the fact that to put together a video like this it requires months of shooting and processing (Sometimes years)!

Most reactions

Back