The breakdown

imagemaker46

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
imagecommunications.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I added up some numbers for those that might be interested in what it really like to travel and work as a professional in my field. During August this year, I had three big assignments, Para Pan Pacific swimming Championships in Pasadena, California, Pan Pacific Championships on the Gold Coast in Australia and the Jr Pan Pacific Championships in Maui. To the general population it all sounds pretty amazing and glamorous, don't get me wrong, it was a pretty amazing month. I put together some facts on the trip. This is over a three week period, crossing the international date line, which got me two Tuesdays last week.

Travel:

Time spent in the air: 54 hours
Distance travelled: 24,671 miles(38,634 km)
Time in trains: 14 hours
Time waiting in airports: 28 hours
Days shooting: 15
Days off: 1
Images shot: 9850 approximately
Time to edit everything: 2-3 weeks

For swimming the events start between 9am-10am each day for the heats, usually last until 11:30-12:30, arrival time to the pool is 8am. Back to the hotel spend the afternoon working on photos. Finals start between 5pm-6pm, last until 7:30-9:00, back to the hotel and work on pictures until midnight. In between the events it was grabbing a quick bite to eat, sometimes it was real food, other than just a sandwich.

As for visiting beautiful places and seeing the world, I did, I saw airports, hotels and swimming pools. That's about it.

So no sight-seeing, lounging by the pool, and non-stop parties with the rich and glamorous?

Bummer!

Yes... but I think the REAL question is... on your ONE day off, did you take your camera with you to go shooting? :D

I travel a lot too and folks are always jealous but after day 5 in a hotel the charm wears off pretty damn quick.

I forgot to add how tough it is dealing with all the time zone changes and jet lag.

Air travel in general is just horrible.

How about travel food?

Good thing you're in Canada so you don't have to claim your frequent flier miles as income :p

I forgot to add how tough it is dealing with all the time zone changes and jet lag.

Air travel in general is just horrible.

How about travel food?
I find airports are the worst part; once I'm on the aircraft things are generally fine, but getting from the car-park to the jetway is the worst phase of the trip.

Air travel isn't as comfortable as it once was, different airlines configure their seats to jam as many people on as possible, which is why we are starting to see more air rage, people recline the already cramped seats and it cuts the space in half, so you are also forced to recline, which I don't like doing, but it's the only way. People bringing oversized bags on planes, it just makes for an unpleasant start to a trip for some. I like to just take it all as it comes, no point getting all wired up before the plane leaves the ground. Flying first class is an option, but when the ticket prices are so far out of whack for the average flyer, it's generally not a practical option. International flights, have you landing at one terminal and having to bus or train to the next terminal. Building in enough time between flights to avoid missing any because of unexpected delays just adds to the time hanging around the airport. They charge you for your luggage unless you are an elite flyer, charge for lousy food, some charge to watch the movies.

The getting anywhere is what wears you down.

Damn you make it all sound so appealing, now everyone's going to want to be a working sports photographer! lol

My little corner of the hockey world has been enough for me. Even that, you gotta love it to do it, takes going early, a lot of time on your feet, etc. Lots of fun but hard work.

By the way and getting OT, I got your dad's book, or the book about him I should say. Just the appendix has enough info. to be worth the price of the book, for anybody that seriously has an interest in shooting events/sports etc. Amazing career.

Damn you make it all sound so appealing, now everyone's going to want to be a working sports photographer! lol

My little corner of the hockey world has been enough for me. Even that, you gotta love it to do it, takes going early, a lot of time on your feet, etc. Lots of fun but hard work.

By the way and getting OT, I got your dad's book, or the book about him I should say. Just the appendix has enough info. to be worth the price of the book, for anybody that seriously has an interest in shooting events/sports etc. Amazing career.

He really has had an amazing career, I learned everything from him.

He really has had an amazing career, I learned everything from him.

Name of book ?

I feel that way though on a much smaller scale. Mines mostly car travel. But once your hitting 5-6 hours in the car after 10 hours of shooting for 3 days straight your ready to be home.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back