The Brownie Flash 620

smithdan

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Finally got a chance to play with this one, another rescued old crock that has been hanging around for years.

IMGP0112sz.jpg

OK, so the flashbulb looks like it came from a fridge but it gives a pretty good idea of the size of a real one. Must have been quite an event when one fired off.

IMGP1077sz.jpg

With that ugly large flash attachment removed, we have a solid tin box. Lever moves a close up lens into the mix, another offers a Bulb setting as 1/50 sec @ about f8 was too fast for early 50's colour. The wierd little doodad on the side folds out as a rest in portrait aspect.

IMGP1081sz.jpg

Kodak brags about this shutter lock but the button has to travel all the way down to do its thing so accidentally wasting a frame not too probable. Camera movement while shooting is however.

IMGP1083sz.jpg

Slide a latch on the bottom and the thing comes apart for feeding. A tripod mount is thoughtfully included as well.

The viewfinder and shutter release took some practice to get used to. Fed it a roll of re-spooled Acros 100, cranked a tripod (used it mostly folded as support) on the bottom and went out on a fairly bright overcast late afternoon.

BF620-1-005e2sz.jpg

Pumphouse

BF620-1-008e3sz.jpg

Farmall "A" ( yellow (Y2) filter helped with this one)

BF620-1-007e1sz.jpg

Not recommended for wildlife photography!

BF620-1-009e3sz.jpg

Homestead

Expected that "Brownie softness" but surprised with what this early 50's box came up with.

The bolts make it look like something out of Frankenstein's laboratory. Love it! You got some fine pictures with it.

I love the flash attachment !
Very nice photos too, made with this old gear.
I possess a camera with a similar design but without the flash feature.
A "Six 20 Brownie Special".
Distances are not in feet but in metres
I never tested it .

1.jpg

On these cameras, there is a small rotary tab on the body side.
It helps to keep the camera horizontal when installed on a table.

2.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. I would love to shoot a portrait with that flash just to see the reaction.

I love the flash attachment !
Very nice photos too, made with this old gear.
I possess a camera with a similar design but without the flash feature.
A "Six 20 Brownie Special".
Distances are not in feet but in metres
I never tested it .

View attachment 147043

On these cameras, there is a small rotary tab on the body side.
It helps to keep the camera horizontal when installed on a table.

View attachment 147046
Nice one Dany. Interesting that the distances are metric and the wording english. Wonder what market this model was made for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back