What's new

The butterflies at the Montreal Botanical Garden

Here are two more shot in natural light, no flash.

$Asian Cruiser.webp $uf3.webp
 
They will likely toss you out on your ear if you use flash. Butterflies are quite delicate and react badly to most "non-normal" intrusions. At the Butterfly Garden in Gainesville, FL, I shot between ISO 400/640 and pretty much shot everything manual 5.6 @ 1/1600 to1/2500 with a 100mm 2.8 Tokina telephoto/macro.

View attachment 38475

I shoot flash all the time at Denver Butterfly Pavillion.. with no issues. I have been to around six different butterfly gardens, and all allowed flash.

Going to be in Denver in a couple of weeks. Got a pretty full schedule, but depending on weather, may be able to squeeze something in. Where is the butterfly pavilion?
 
Thanks to everyone for your comments and information, I always find the artistic side of photography easier to deal with than the technical side. But I am getting there little by little thanks to all of you!
 
Thanks to everyone for your comments and information, I always find the artistic side of photography easier to deal with than the technical side. But I am getting there little by little thanks to all of you!

We need to combine powers like those fools from Captain Planet because I understand the technical side WAY better than the artistic side.
 
One of my favorites... (went large so you can see the detail!)

$_DSC6272.webp
 
They will likely toss you out on your ear if you use flash. Butterflies are quite delicate and react badly to most "non-normal" intrusions. At the Butterfly Garden in Gainesville, FL, I shot between ISO 400/640 and pretty much shot everything manual 5.6 @ 1/1600 to1/2500 with a 100mm 2.8 Tokina telephoto/macro.

View attachment 38475

I shoot flash all the time at Denver Butterfly Pavillion.. with no issues. I have been to around six different butterfly gardens, and all allowed flash.

Going to be in Denver in a couple of weeks. Got a pretty full schedule, but depending on weather, may be able to squeeze something in. Where is the butterfly pavilion?

Here is the link! I would love to get together and go shoot there, if you would like! I'll PM phone number....

Butterfly Pavilion | Denver Family Activities | Things to do with children
 
I think you've done a really nice job with the processing on these. The colors are so vibrant and the contrast looks good to me. I feel like a few of them are a little too centered, but aside from that I think you have a good set here.

Charlie - thanks for the link. I've got it in my cart as we speak. :)
 
Nice pictures! I was just thinking earlier that it would be nice to go to such a place. I especially like the last one. Great DOF and it looks pretty sharp. It's my favourite point of the view of the monarchs (is it a monarch? I know there are other species that look similar) and the orange contrasts well with the green leaf behind it. Well done!
 
Nice pictures! I was just thinking earlier that it would be nice to go to such a place. I especially like the last one. Great DOF and it looks pretty sharp. It's my favourite point of the view of the monarchs (is it a monarch? I know there are other species that look similar) and the orange contrasts well with the green leaf behind it. Well done!

Yes it is a monarch, but they have 33 butterfly species listed, I wish I would be able to have pictures of most.
Thanks for the nice comments.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom